Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Diesel particulate filter (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316859)

Chudy85 May 15th, 2021 08:03

Diesel particulate filter

Hey,

I am wondering is v90 MY20 D4 giving any visible information that DPF cleaning process has started?

In my previous car Vauxhall i could see it under main consumers. When DPF cleaning was in process there was always rear window heating on and current MPG was dropping by 40%.

I have my Volvo only one month and i haven't noticed any direct or indirect information that this process is running.

Mad Malc May 15th, 2021 08:29

I have the S90 with the same engine and have never been aware of any symptoms or indication that one is happening.

Zebster May 15th, 2021 08:37

Do you have an indication that the stop/start system is available? On my older model the stop/start becomes inactive whenever a regen is in progress.

Chudy85 May 15th, 2021 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2737262)
Do you have an indication that the stop/start system is available? On my older model the stop/start becomes inactive whenever a regen is in progress.

I have possibility to check this on dashboard and on sensus screen probably too. But i am using individual mode as i hate s/s function and this function is disabled by me.

Zebster May 15th, 2021 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chudy85 (Post 2737264)
I have possibility to check this on dashboard and on sensus screen probably too. But i am using individual mode as i hate s/s function and this function is disabled by me.

Well I guess you'll not know then. I get no other indication of an active regen in progress... no burning smell, no noticeable drop in economy, no temperature increase, etc. Once in a blue moon it just does its thing in the background for about 23 minutes.

Chudy85 May 15th, 2021 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2737265)
Well I guess you'll not know then. I get no other indication of an active regen in progress... no burning smell, no noticeable drop in economy, no temperature increase, etc. Once in a blue moon it just does its thing in the background for about 23 minutes.

Have you noticed how many miles are you doing between the regeneration cycles?

Clan May 15th, 2021 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chudy85 (Post 2737252)
Hey,

I am wondering is v90 MY20 D4 giving any visible information that DPF cleaning process has started?

In my previous car Vauxhall i could see it under main consumers. When DPF cleaning was in process there was always rear window heating on and current MPG was dropping by 40%.

I have my Volvo only one month and i haven't noticed any direct or indirect information that this process is running.

That's the whole point , it is not supposed to be noticed , you have a very robust DPF system which works very well .

Zebster May 15th, 2021 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chudy85 (Post 2737268)
Have you noticed how many miles are you doing between the regeneration cycles?

I can't be sure, as it hardly ever does an active regen and I don't often drive around with the infotainment system in a mode that'll imply a regen is occurring. I get the feeling (not very scientific, I know) that passive regeneration works very well on this engine/DPF and accounts for the majority of the regen effort.

I have diagnostic equipment that tells me the soot loading of the DPF. Even during lockdown when the car was only being used for short journeys the highest I saw was 12.5g (against a warning threshold of 26g) so I'm now pretty relaxed about the DPF.

nu11eaf May 15th, 2021 11:20

I can usually tell when a Regen is happening on my D5PP because there is a distinct (to me) exhaust burble when slowing down on over run to take a corner or pull up, (at slow speeds) whenever this happens I glance at the stop/start symbol and it will be disabled.
It is a subtle change of note that I can notice being the regular driver and know the usual exhaust note

Chudy85 May 15th, 2021 14:05

I will try to observe and maybe will see when is starts.

Is there any possibility to see on dashboard coolant temperature or oil? It strange for me as i always had this gauge in other cars.