Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Oil low after oil change (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301749)

teefin Dec 22nd, 2019 10:04

Oil low after oil change

I had my V90 in garage on thursday due to oil overfill warning.

I was advised they had updated software and changed oil. I checked oil level before leaving and it showed the level approx 90% when I checked later it showed approx 40%. Any suggestions as I cant see any sign of a leak but if that is where it has been filled to surely this is too low.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

volvo s60 2001 Dec 22nd, 2019 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by teefin (Post 2582808)

I was advised they had updated software and changed oil. I checked oil level before leaving and it showed the level approx 90% when I checked later it showed approx 40%. Any suggestions as I cant see any sign of a leak but if that is where it has been filled to surely this is too low.

Have you checked it as it states in the owner manual?

NOTE

The system cannot directly detect changes when the oil is filled or drained. The car must have been driven approx. 30 km (approx. 20 miles) and have been stationary for 5 minutes with the engine switched off and on level ground before the oil level indication is correct.

cassell Dec 22nd, 2019 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by teefin (Post 2582808)

I had exactly the same issue after my last V90 D4 service. The dealer explained that to reduce the risk of excessive soot build up linked to the current 'melting inlet manifold' issue, software has been updated to increase the number of DPF regenerations.

As this can lead to oil levels rising due to diesel ingress when regenerations are interrupted, engine oil change levels have been lowered to prevent overfill warnings. I'm assured that this will be returned via a further software update when the recall programme is being implemented.

AndyJudge Dec 27th, 2019 15:10

Did the garage reset/recalibrate the levels when it was changed ?

Mine didn't get done when last serviced, but quickly sorted.

Scooser Dec 28th, 2019 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassell (Post 2582935)
I had exactly the same issue after my last V90 D4 service. The dealer explained that to reduce the risk of excessive soot build up linked to the current 'melting inlet manifold' issue, software has been updated to increase the number of DPF regenerations.

As this can lead to oil levels rising due to diesel ingress when regenerations are interrupted, engine oil change levels have been lowered to prevent overfill warnings. I'm assured that this will be returned via a further software update when the recall programme is being implemented.

What a joke. This has been well known by Volvo for well in excess of 10 years and they’ve done sod all about it. My 58 plate V70 owned from new has been doing this from day one.