Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   V70: ABS Warning light. 1996 - 1999 2.4 10V (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221884)

Gdelamare92 Jan 17th, 2015 00:02

ABS Warning light. 1996 - 1999 2.4 10V

Got a problem with my ABS module. Tried sorting it by wedging some metal between the plug and the pump to only have the ABS working til I hit a bump. I haven't tried taking the module off yet as I need to buy some Female torque bits for my ratchet. If anyone knows of a way I can fix it where I don't need to wait for parts, Dread the expensive servicing or even have to take the module out, That would be great.

Thanks.

Car is a Volvo V70 10V 2.4 1999

capt jack Jan 18th, 2015 09:04

ABS module is a common problem area. The car is driveable but the brakes are then non-abs. Reconditioned abs modules are available and it's an easy job to do. Bodges don't work and you could end up doing more harm than good.

There are several ecu refurb companies advertising on the web.

A good one is ECU Testing, based near Derby. They do a mail order service.

cheers

Jack

RollingThunder Jan 18th, 2015 17:07

I temporarily 'fixed' the ABS/TRACS on my blue V70R by wedging some plastic into that connection - it worked for a few months, but the proper fix is to replace or repair the ECU. I only intended to use the wedge for a couple of weeks but never got around to doing the job correctly - but its something I'll have to do before selling it in a few weeks time.

As you've found out, a bump can dislodge the wedge leaving you ABS-less.

Gdelamare92 Jan 20th, 2015 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt jack (Post 1829455)
ABS module is a common problem area. The car is driveable but the brakes are then non-abs. Reconditioned abs modules are available and it's an easy job to do. Bodges don't work and you could end up doing more harm than good.

There are several ecu refurb companies advertising on the web.

A good one is ECU Testing, based near Derby. They do a mail order service.

cheers

Jack

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 1829871)
I temporarily 'fixed' the ABS/TRACS on my blue V70R by wedging some plastic into that connection - it worked for a few months, but the proper fix is to replace or repair the ECU. I only intended to use the wedge for a couple of weeks but never got around to doing the job correctly - but its something I'll have to do before selling it in a few weeks time.

As you've found out, a bump can dislodge the wedge leaving you ABS-less.

Thank you to both of you. Although I don't think I will be sending the module off to UK any time soon. I live in the Channel Islands so bit expensive to do. May just crack the ABS Module open as been told it is about 80% likely that it is a bad connection(Missing solder) inside the box. So will get that sorted. Now I just have to wait for some Female torque ratchet attachments. Long wait for me.

turboboy Mar 26th, 2020 17:37

ABS / TRACS Warning Light

Had the TRACS warning light intermittently coming on and off a few weeks ago so as the weather has now improved I tried to remove the unit from my V70 T5 to check the soldering.

Managed to release the connectors (despite the clips on one being brittle and breaking) and also loosened one of the bolts, but could not get to the second one properly and may have damaged the head (yes, using correct E5 socket). Gave up and put it all back together for another day and since then light goes out and stays off, but I'm not counting on it remaining off when it goes for MOT later this year.

My problem is that I need to remove the air feed pipe from the filter to turbo to get more room but cannot see how the lower end is attached. I'm pretty c$£p at internet searches so have only found the usual "remove the pipe" type descriptions. Anyone have any pointers?

SteveSarre Mar 26th, 2020 19:39

Hi Gdelamare92

If you use a mobile phone to take a photo of the underside of the ABS control module, then you can get a part number. Then see if you can find a good used one. Some versions are readily available and not very expensive.

Definitely wait until you get the correct Torx sockets. Otherwise you might get the easy bolts out but then come across one which is stuck and you will strip the bolt head and then be unable to remove the bolt. And then it gets very tricky to remove the module.

HTH
Steve