Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Steering rack advice! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338156)

darihaze Feb 16th, 2024 13:09

Steering rack advice!

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Recently bought a very well cared for 04 v70 d5 knowing it needed a power steering rack. when I first got it the leak wasn't too bad obviously it got worse the more it was driven. its now sorn and ps fluid will drain entirely probably in about 3 days, my garage floor is now an ice rink.

As a new owner of a v70 I wish I knew then what I know now about the absolute minefield it is trying to source a new rack I feel like it should come as a disclaimer in the manual!

Anyway I couldn't afford to buy a new rack so I started trying to source second hand, after 6 months of searching I finally found a match. its off of a 2002 t5 that done 170k miles, I know :shocked: I paid £170 for it.

Now the only reason I'm not refurbing my own rack is because I got in touch with a previous owner who worshipped the car and he said he tried to get the rack refurbed but they couldn't do a proper refurb and could only really bodge it and it was an unknown quantity how long it would last, that was in 2018. What I'm thinking is getting this rack ive bought refurbished and putting it back in the car?
As I'm not a mechanic I was wondering if anyone could tell me whats missing from the rack or if it looks any good? theres a seal there that is absolute mush so starting to panic a bit as I dont really have anything to compare it to. Ive attached some pictures.

forgive my ignorance I'm just a lady who is obsessed with this car. any advice is welcome thanks!

Bonefishblues Feb 16th, 2024 14:01

Yes. There's no point in buying a s/h rack of unknown provenance, having it fitted and for it starting to leak shortly afterwards.

However, do re-re-re-check that what you have bought will fit your car before you refurb it. There were many combinations, so a number of us have bought the wrong one despite checking (threads refer...) Twice in my case (TBF, one mis-step was by the garage themselves!)

darihaze Feb 16th, 2024 14:25

I will deffo be rechecking after the horror stories I've read! the only reason why I'm paranoid as well is mine is late 2004 so it seems to be the worst to try and identify due to the crossover. so far ive checked (many times), the breakers double checked and volvo themselves checked so I'm hoping to not have worry too much more but I will get under the car and compare now have the other rack. thank you

Bonefishblues Feb 16th, 2024 15:02

There's no substitute for grovelling around in power steering fluid and checking barcodes, sadly. But if you have a Boy Scout to hand, then shove 'em underneath!

Regarding the refurbers, may be a good idea to get recommendations from a local trusted garage (or with all things Volvo, Horton Cars are good guys and will tell you over the phone who they recommend) https://hortoncars.com/

VOLVOBOY Feb 16th, 2024 15:45

Hi.

That rack looks like an early SMI steering rack .
If your car is 2004 pre-facelift or later then it will have a ZF steering rack .
I think someone has given you a bum-steer here .
Are you able to put up some detailed photos of the rack which is on your car ?

darihaze Feb 16th, 2024 17:02

crap how frustrating:( yeah mine is 2004 pre face lift.
whats the difference between ZF and SMI again is it either push fit or screw fit?
I can post some pictures tomorrow when I have better light but my old rack is still on the car currently.
Well good thing is I can probably return this rack as they said they'd only accept return if they make a mistake.

Am i also right in thinking that the ZF racks have the sensors on them?

CricketyJimin Feb 16th, 2024 19:41

As said earlier up the thread generally speaking the later ZF racks were push fit BUT I used to have a late-2003 V70 which was one of those odd mid face lift models and that had a screw fit ZF rack. They don't all have the sensor, from what I've seen that was model dependent.

I had mine refurbed by Kiley Clinton in 2019 and they did an excellent job of it.

VOLVOBOY Feb 16th, 2024 20:35

Me Again .

My car is early 2004 and like `C J s` has the screw-in pipe fittings . These were an oddball hybrid steering rack and not all V70 s had this .
So , I think you need to confirm the pipe fitment . Try to find the part nos both Volvo and ZF .

If you have threaded then racks with these numbers should fit...
Volvo = 8684271 , 30680065 , 30680064 ;; but more importantly ZF nos =
7853974112 , 7853974113 , 7853501162 ,7852501930 ,7852974838 .

If you have push-fit then racks with these nos. should fit...
Volvo = 30723730 ,30723739 ,30764327 ,30764338 ;;but more importantly ZF nos = 7853974234 ,7853501162 ,7853974220 ,7853974354 .

The speed sensor (if fitted) will be in the area where your mushy-looking seal is .
Just look for a small cable plugged into the pinion part of the rack . If you don`t see you don`t have .

darihaze Feb 17th, 2024 00:44

Thanks so much for your help everyone you've all really cleared a lot up for me, will be under the car tomorrow and will update you then. Will try and get some good photos. hopefully I can source a rack and get this car back on the road it's been too well maintained to give up just yet!

Tomoose Feb 19th, 2024 23:17

I really hope you get this sorted. I think this is my old car, and it's definitely worth saving!

Tom