Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Do these cars have limited slip? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324062)

jacob82 Mar 9th, 2022 11:48

Do these cars have limited slip?

2003 V70 AWD. The sleeve is gone between the transmission and the angle gear. Driveshaft rotates freely with transmission in Park and all four wheels on the ground. So no connection between the transmission and the angle gear.

I suppose this means, the right front wheel and the rear wheels never moves the car...? The car drive effortlessly nonetheless.
How the heck is this possible? Limited slip in the transmission differential?

Clan Mar 9th, 2022 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob82 (Post 2812333)
2003 V70 AWD. The sleeve is gone between the transmission and the angle gear. Driveshaft rotates freely with transmission in Park and all four wheels on the ground. So no connection between the transmission and the angle gear.

I suppose this means, the right front wheel and the rear wheels never moves the car...? The car drive effortlessly nonetheless.
How the heck is this possible? Limited slip in the transmission differential?

you have the standard front wheel drive, the right drive shaft has nothing to do with the angle gear it goes straight through the centre to the usual place in the final drive .

jacob82 Mar 10th, 2022 07:26

I dont get it... If the sleeve is shot, then no rotation is transfered beyond the right side of the differential, right?
I dont understand how the right wheel can be driven then...

Clan Mar 10th, 2022 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob82 (Post 2812495)
I dont get it... If the sleeve is shot, then no rotation is transfered beyond the right side of the differential, right?
I dont understand how the right wheel can be driven then...

All the angle gear does is takes drive from the gearbox crown wheel and sends it down the propshaft to the rear crown wheel

jacob82 Mar 10th, 2022 11:08

yeah, but is the right side front driveshaft not directly linked to that same output on the transmission ? through the sleeve

Clan Mar 10th, 2022 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob82 (Post 2812543)
yeah, but is the right side front driveshaft not directly linked to that same output on the transmission ? through the sleeve

the right driveshaft is exactly the same as any other FWD car it goes straight into the sun gear on the differential .

jacob82 Mar 11th, 2022 07:40

Dont it go into the right side of the angle gear?

Clan Mar 11th, 2022 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob82 (Post 2812712)
Dont it go into the right side of the angle gear?

no it goes straight through the centre of the angle gear into the gearbox without touching the angle gear.

jacob82 Mar 11th, 2022 12:24

Ohhhhh I think I just got it… the driveshaft goes into the inner spline in the output on the differential, right? And the sleeve slide onto the outside of it

Clan Mar 11th, 2022 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob82 (Post 2812768)
Ohhhhh I think I just got it… the driveshaft goes into the inner spline in the output on the differential, right? And the sleeve slide onto the outside of it

yes ! the sleeve couples directly to the crown wheel in the gearbox and joins it to the angle gear to go to the rear of the car