Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Volvo v70 d5 163 ------ Fuel Light (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321702)

Mkengineering Nov 24th, 2021 19:52

Volvo v70 d5 163 ------ Fuel Light

Just a quick on here,

At what stage do you guys see your fuel light come on?

Today my v70 d5 fuel light came on stating that I had '120 miles left in the tank'

I was only 15miles off and the car completely went dead! At that point I had no idea what it was and thought the worst.

Anyway called the TheAA and they tell me ' mate you're tank is empty'

I was completely surprised and shocked as it said I had 120 miles left!

Anyone else had this similar issues. I usually trust my instinct and usually fill up, but as the computer said I had X amount I trusted it.

cheshired5 Nov 24th, 2021 20:16

Could be a sticking float given a false reading but both levels on each side of the tank can be read with Vida and they should be within a few litres of each other.
Any anomaly is easy to spot.

Alternatively, your in tank pump could be dead and not pulling fuel across the tank meaning you have enough fuel in the tank but no way of accessing it hence why it breaks down before actually empty.
In that situation, a quarter of a tank or so has to be treated as empty to avoid getting caught out.
When there is sufficient fuel, the Euro 3 D5 can run without a functioning tank pump.

Mkengineering Nov 24th, 2021 21:18

So what you're saying in laments terms is I'll need a new fuel pump

Kev0607 Nov 24th, 2021 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkengineering (Post 2787856)
Just a quick on here,

At what stage do you guys see your fuel light come on?

Today my v70 d5 fuel light came on stating that I had '120 miles left in the tank'

I was only 15miles off and the car completely went dead! At that point I had no idea what it was and thought the worst.

Anyway called the TheAA and they tell me ' mate you're tank is empty'

I was completely surprised and shocked as it said I had 120 miles left!

Anyone else had this similar issues. I usually trust my instinct and usually fill up, but as the computer said I had X amount I trusted it.

The fuel light comes on at around 50 miles remaining on my car, but I try not to let it get to that stage (if possible).

I don’t trust the fuel remaining readout because it drops rapidly! When the gauge gets to quarter, that’s when I usually add fuel.

T5R92011 Nov 24th, 2021 21:58

Lowest i've run my EU3 D5 down to is '20' miles remaining and needle is at the bottom of the red, during the fuel panic buying.

Mkengineering Nov 24th, 2021 22:18

Its worrying as my stupid volvo the fuel light came on at 120 miles.

But from what I'm understanding the car has two pumps? Is that what someone has said or I just misunderstood that completely

tykesi Nov 25th, 2021 10:37

I just ignore anything the car tells me about MPG or range. God knows who designed it but it’s so far out it’s hilarious. Now you know you have roughly 15 miles once the light is on, you just fill up sooner next time.

cheshired5 Nov 25th, 2021 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkengineering (Post 2787884)
So what you're saying in laments terms is I'll need a new fuel pump

No not necessarily.
You can hear the tank pump with ignition on and if the fuel filter was removed, you'd be able to see if the tank pump is producing flow so further checks would be needed.

It's also worth saying that the range indicator is an average based on previous driving but when fuel is low, you can get through the remaining fuel very quickly if the driving style was slightly more aggressive. You may have nothing wrong and were just caught out.

Mkengineering Nov 25th, 2021 12:58

I think from now on, I'll go back trusting the guage instead of the bloody digital one.

Thank you chaps

JJD1 Nov 25th, 2021 13:20

Many of us have suffered with /from this issue .My 2.4 NA does the same . My old D5 left me stuck on the M1 on a very dark and wet night with "130 miles to empty " showing . The cure was the float been bent a bit, the contacts cleaned etc . I need to do mine as its a joke sometimes when the fuel gets low .Parking on a incline can cause it not to want to start