Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Electrics: V70 Estate Rear screen demist.. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321546)

tdidave Nov 18th, 2021 00:00

V70 Estate Rear screen demist..

Hi Guys, just wondering if any of you have had the rear screen - heated window fail on a V70 Estate.

My heated mirrors still seem to be working, but zilch demist at the rear screen.

I've checked the continuity of the screen matrix and that seems ok, however the power I'm getting back there is about 11.5 volts. Surely this is wrong isn't it. Is there some sort of relay or resistor that could cause this.

My fault I should have sorted it during the summer when it wasn't needed.

As always.. any pointers in the right direction will be gratefully received..

Dave.. :thumbs_up:

john.wigley Nov 18th, 2021 00:19

I don't know if this will be of any assistance, 'tdidave', but, before I bought it, my 2000 V70 apparently had a similar issue which also affected the RWW operation. There is a bill in the history file for repairing the wiring in the vicinity of the tailgate and evidence on the car bears testimony to the fact that work has indeed been done in that area. Could failed wiring possibly be at the root of your current problems?

Regards, John.

tdidave Nov 18th, 2021 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2786144)
I don't know if this will be of any assistance, 'tdidave', but, before I bought it, my 2000 V70 apparently had a similar issue which also affected the RWW operation. There is a bill in the history file for repairing the wiring in the vicinity of the tailgate and evidence on the car bears testimony to the fact that work has indeed been done in that area. Could failed wiring possibly be at the root of your current problems?

Regards, John.

Thanks John.. my first suspect area was the where the wiring loops from the body to the tailgate. I felt sure I'd find my problem there, but when I did do a bit of investigating the wiring supplying power to the tailgate inside the car was only delivering about 11 volts or there abouts, and this seems suspect to me. Maybe not enough to power the heated window.

pff Nov 18th, 2021 16:53

can you measure resistance across the back window from the connector in the tailgate?
the same relay switches the mirrors and window heater but they are on different pins.
you should get roughly battery voltage across the heating element

tdidave Nov 25th, 2021 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pff (Post 2786335)
can you measure resistance across the back window from the connector in the tailgate?
the same relay switches the mirrors and window heater but they are on different pins.
you should get roughly battery voltage across the heating element

Thanks very much for that advice pff.. I've been otherwise pre-occupied the past few days, but when I get a free minute I'm going to chase this problem further including your recommendations..