Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Opinions from V60 D6 hybrid owners (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316446)

skye740 Apr 29th, 2021 19:17

Opinions from V60 D6 hybrid owners

Hi all.

As a long term Ovlov owner of many. I'm considering an upgrade of my 05' V70 D5 as her monthly costs are steadily increasing with things ageing,
I'm now commuting 350miles a week a potential option could be as per title.

Therefore seeking some advice on running one please.

TIA

Tober Apr 29th, 2021 22:56

I have a PHEV V60 but the D5 version. I have had it 4.5 years and it has done 35k miles. Initially I had lots of motorway travel but now it is much more infrequent. I do more 15 to 50 mile journeys and rarely fill the tank with diesel, charging most days using either solar and/or cheap rate electricity.

It’s a good motorway cruiser or at least I think so and I frequently get 42 - 46 miles per gallon with just one charge and preconditioning before the start of the journey. This is largely motorways and A roads. My Volvo on Call reports my overall mpg at 100 mpg over all journeys.

Pure electric mode and a fully charged battery provides 22-24 miles in summer and 16-18 in winter.

Battery could do with being bigger, boot space obviously not the same as the ICE version and turning circle ain’t great.

Hope that helps

skye740 May 2nd, 2021 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tober (Post 2732943)
I have a PHEV V60 but the D5 version. I have had it 4.5 years and it has done 35k miles. Initially I had lots of motorway travel but now it is much more infrequent. I do more 15 to 50 mile journeys and rarely fill the tank with diesel, charging most days using either solar and/or cheap rate electricity.

It’s a good motorway cruiser or at least I think so and I frequently get 42 - 46 miles per gallon with just one charge and preconditioning before the start of the journey. This is largely motorways and A roads. My Volvo on Call reports my overall mpg at 100 mpg over all journeys.

Pure electric mode and a fully charged battery provides 22-24 miles in summer and 16-18 in winter.

Battery could do with being bigger, boot space obviously not the same as the ICE version and turning circle ain’t great.

Hope that helps

In your ownership have you seen a reduction in battery output since new, as this a concern when buying a hybrid that already 4-5yrs old?

Tober May 3rd, 2021 07:07

No noticeable reduction in battery output. The charge display reads 30 miles after the battery has been fully charged ( it may have shown 31 miles initially) but in terms of driveable miles I can still hit 24 miles on a good day and still manage no lower 16-18 miles on cold ones.

Adrian888 May 3rd, 2021 10:41

I might be selling my D6 hybrid R design. We are moving from 2 cars to one and my wife doesn’t like driving it, too low after coming out of small SUV. It is 2016, 58k miles, FVSH, 10 months MOT, almost new tyres. Only bought it last summer.

Clan May 3rd, 2021 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by skye740 (Post 2732884)
Hi all.

As a long term Ovlov owner of many. I'm considering an upgrade of my 05' V70 D5 as her monthly costs are steadily increasing with things ageing,
I'm now commuting 350miles a week a potential option could be as per title.

Therefore seeking some advice on running one please.

TIA

Keep paying your maintenance costs ....

The D6 is NOT a car you should be considering if you are penny pinching ..
The battery will need reconditioning at some point in the future being already 8 years old . and doing 350 miles a week probably on motorways you wont be doing a lot of electric miles ...
Just ONE fault with anything on the Hybrid system will bankrupt you ...

Your current car is perfect for the job you want it to do and a great car.

Adrian888 May 3rd, 2021 11:58

I agree a D5/6 hybrid is not a budget car but in reality neither are most PHEV. Insurance is higher and so too are service costs. However it is a great driving experience, the R Design is very well specced and when Power mode is selected they have hot hatch beating performance. On a long very fast (100mph +) drive across Europe to Prague last summer i topped 40mpg. Towing i get 25-27 and at the moment local stop-start pottering about is giving 46-47 on a mix of ICE and battery. The newest D6 are only 3 years old and the oldest are 9 years. I have not heard of any D5/6 hybrid needing the EV battery reconditioning. The battery has an 8 year Volvo warranty too. I am the first to decry the limitations and overselling of BEV as some-sort of almost religious solution and the way battery degradation with age is downplayed etc but in practice a hybrid or PHEV suffers less from decline in battery efficacy. I like the car but given my OH will not drive it i have to change! Unfortunately there is nothing in a PHEV SUV in the Volvo range i can afford so will be looking elsewhere.

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX May 3rd, 2021 20:11

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Adrian888 May 3rd, 2021 20:58

Your quote for me at last renewal was ridiculous, 75% higher than i ended up finding.

Tober May 3rd, 2021 23:52

I recall having the same experience