Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Tyre maintenance For AWD XC60 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=219584)

Petershawpit Dec 9th, 2014 11:04

Tyre maintenance For AWD XC60

Buying a new XC60 and have heard chat about need to swap round tyres to keep the circumference equal as possible between front and back??? New concept to me but is there an ideal regime for maintaining tyres.
Please can you help?

Clan Dec 9th, 2014 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petershawpit (Post 1799822)
Buying a new XC60 and have heard chat about need to swap round tyres to keep the circumference equal as possible between front and back??? New concept to me but is there an ideal regime for maintaining tyres.
Please can you help?

No need for this at all , it died out when volvo got rid of the viscous coupling 14 years ago !

galloot633 Dec 9th, 2014 21:38

Some people still believe this, I bought a towbar off a guy a couple of years ago, who loved his xc90 but went on about running costs , he'd just paid out for a full set of tyres because the fronts were worn out ! his garage told him about the danger of different diameters
Dave

Clan Dec 9th, 2014 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by galloot633 (Post 1800376)
Some people still believe this, I bought a towbar off a guy a couple of years ago, who loved his xc90 but went on about running costs , he'd just paid out for a full set of tyres because the fronts were worn out ! his garage told him about the danger of different diameters
Dave

If the fronts were worn out there is a strong chance there is no rear wheel drive assuming all 4 tyres started out new at the same time ...

galloot633 Dec 11th, 2014 13:36

Clan
It was the reduced rolling diameter that the garage had warned about
Dave

Clan Dec 11th, 2014 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by galloot633 (Post 1801439)
Clan
It was the reduced rolling diameter that the garage had warned about
Dave

I'm afraid the garage is either 13 years out of date with volvos or conning the xc90 owner .

bullstiff Dec 11th, 2014 19:50

I've just swapped over to my winter wheels and the front summer tyres are now on the limit of wear with the rear approx 1mm behind I'm very impressed with the even wear on mine it's a D5 Awd, I guess you could moan about the impact of having to buy a full set of tyres all at once but I guess this should be something you budget for each month.
Also I don't think the £130 per corner my local tyre depot quoted for 18" Pirellis was too bad my van tyres are only a tenner cheaper.
I've never swapped my tyres around and as Clan says this was something related to the old Awd system.
Regards

volvorocks Dec 11th, 2014 20:24

I change front to rear so as to even wear. Good practice if one does not keep the car for a length of time or mileage that necessitates tyre replacement.

Regards

mike95 Dec 18th, 2014 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullstiff (Post 1801700)
I've just swapped over to my winter wheels and the front summer tyres are now on the limit of wear with the rear approx 1mm behind I'm very impressed with the even wear on mine it's a D5 Awd, I guess you could moan about the impact of having to buy a full set of tyres all at once but I guess this should be something you budget for each month.
Also I don't think the £130 per corner my local tyre depot quoted for 18" Pirellis was too bad my van tyres are only a tenner cheaper.
I've never swapped my tyres around and as Clan says this was something related to the old Awd system.
Regards

Would you mind saying how many miles you got from your set?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

RoyMacDonald Jan 31st, 2015 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1799824)
No need for this at all , it died out when volvo got rid of the viscous coupling 14 years ago !

Clan, it has this in my XC60 2015 handbook. Page 316

Quote:

Wear and maintenance
Correct tyre pressure (p. 324) results in more
even wear. Driving style, tyre pressure, cli-
mate and road condition affect how quickly
your tyres age and wear. To avoid differences
in tread depth and to prevent wear patterns
arising, the front and rear wheels can be
switched with each other. A suitable distance
for the first change is approx. 5000 km and
then at 10000 km intervals. Volvo recom-