Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Volvo Car Press Releases (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Volvo Cars 90 Series cars receive updates. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260272)

Bob Dec 2nd, 2016 10:00

Volvo Cars 90 Series cars receive updates.

Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, has announced several important updates to its 90 series cars, delivering new safety, powertrain and connectivity updates. The Swedish carmaker’s smartphone integration offer, which already includes Apple CarPlay, will now come with Android Auto functionality in Volvo’s large driver interface.

Click here to read the full report

TimS Dec 2nd, 2016 12:16

If only they'll release a petrol-powered model for the UK. Not the T8, but something more reasonable in price. The T5 in Sweden looks priced at a little over the D4 price. I'm in two minds whether to buy a UK V90, & a big part of the hesitation is because I don't want another diesel (low-ish milage private buyer). I'd probably buy the T5 straight away if it was available here.

Even more so with the current news of diesel bans in cities being announced.

I-S Dec 6th, 2016 23:20

And strangely they offer the T5 in the XC60 here...

Paul Wildsmith Dec 7th, 2016 12:44

my understanding is that the petrol models (T6 and T8) will follow next year. Though based on XC90 pricing, at a (further) premium.

Chris Wickers Dec 16th, 2016 23:01

V and S90

Paul,

Which one will you be buying?

Kind regards

Chris

Prufrock Dec 17th, 2016 10:18

V90.

Had a V90 on two week loan from Volvo, very impressed - didn't expect to be so.

Car went back yesterday.

Jon.

Paul Wildsmith Dec 17th, 2016 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wickers (Post 2209742)
Paul,

Which one will you be buying?

Kind regards

Chris

I drove a D4, but will need to test the D5 before deciding (expect the D5 will win). Then, I'll just need the money ...

RoyMacDonald Jan 11th, 2017 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS (Post 2203482)
Even more so with the current news of diesel bans in cities being announced.

This is being incorrectly reported in most of the media. Just a hyped up scare story. There are no bans on newer diesels and the proposals to ban both petrol and diesel cars has not been met with approval by Governments, being described as "utter nonsense".

Quote:

Khan has announced a new £10 Toxicity Charge for the city, which targets pre-Euro 4 vehicles - mostly cars registered before 2005.
Quote:

Paris and other French cities brought in alternate driving days to tackle a pollution spikes earlier this year, but Hidalgo said she wants a complete ban on the dirtiest vehicles at such times.

Paris will ban cars registered before 1997 from the city between 8am and 8pm on weekdays, but classic cars registered 30 years or more ago will be allowed to drive.

The rule is set to be enforced from July 1, and is expected to affect around 10% of cars in the city.

How are other cities tackling harmful pollution from cars?

According to French media reports, these restrictions will become progressively tighter over the rest of this decade until 2020, when the only private vehicles allowed to drive in central Paris will be cars registered after 2011 and motorcycles registered after July 2015.
90% of London buses and most taxies are diesel and all lorries as well so society would collapse in the event of such a ban.

You should do some research before promoting such a scare story.

Roy

TimS Mar 10th, 2017 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 2220322)
You should do some research before promoting such a scare story.

Roy

Assuming this is directed at me, then I'm sorry if you interpreted my comments as promoting a scare story. We'll have to differ in our opinions: personally, I don't want another diesel, and therefore ruled out replacing my diesel V70 for a diesel V90. You may be perfectly happy buying diesels in the current climate, and your usage profile may make them appropriate.

However I can't see the tax regime changing in diesel's favour.

RoyMacDonald Mar 10th, 2017 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS (Post 2246205)
Assuming this is directed at me, then I'm sorry if you interpreted my comments as promoting a scare story. We'll have to differ in our opinions: personally, I don't want another diesel, and therefore ruled out replacing my diesel V70 for a diesel V90. You may be perfectly happy buying diesels in the current climate, and your usage profile may make them appropriate.

However I can't see the tax regime changing in diesel's favour.

Interestingly I saw some research on 18 cars, petrol and diesel in real world tests and unfortunately the company did not name the cars they tested but the results were that the best diesel was better than the best petrol, but that the cars they tested varied wildly and all the worst cars were small cheaper ones. They concluded that small cars either because of size for equipment or cost constraints were the most polluting. The company was preparing tests for the forthcoming real world pollution testing that will take over from the static test.

Roy