Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   DAB issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=196026)

tam87 Jan 5th, 2014 08:30

DAB issues

Hi all,

I recently took delivery of a V40 CrossCountry Lux and am having an issue with the DAB radio where it constantly loses reception. I've driven Fords and Audis in the same areas with no problems whatsoever! It's pretty frustrating having it cut out every few seconds...

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread...

OldCroc Jan 5th, 2014 12:10

This seems to be a known issue. I had a software upgrade for this yesterday and it has made a small improvement. Previously had Dab in my Astra and it worked perfectly both in the Uk and other European countries where Dab was available.
I believe that ultimately this will be an aerial problem and not something that can be fixed with software.
OldCroc

cumbrianmale Jan 5th, 2014 21:53

The DAB module is behind the left side panel in the boot. It would be worth checking the connections are all sound.

tam87 Jan 6th, 2014 01:46

Thanks for the replies! I'll check the connections first and see if that helps before getting it checked by the dealer.

sprout99 Jan 6th, 2014 07:23

i don't listen to DAB that much

it comes and goes too much ...might look into this.

Mytholmroyd60 Jan 7th, 2014 20:25

I only use dab for r5l xtra. I find it's too flaky for everyday use in the car.

OldCroc Jan 7th, 2014 20:32

Volvo should not put this option in the car if it does not work. The car needs to keep going back to the dealers until they fix it. If no one complains there is no incentive for Volvo to get it right. Other cheaper makes of car have got it right.

Clan Jan 7th, 2014 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCroc (Post 1552049)
Volvo should not put this option in the car if it does not work. The car needs to keep going back to the dealers until they fix it. If no one complains there is no incentive for Volvo to get it right. Other cheaper makes of car have got it right.

This isnt a general problem it works 100% fine for a 50 mile radius from me , I might venture further one day !

Harvey1512 Jan 8th, 2014 11:41

I have it in my V60 and it works very well. The BBC stations in particular are very strong and rarely lose signal, dodgy parts of The Lake District only have defeated it so far, although other stations are less strong.

I think DAB is caught a little in no mans land where the coverage is not quite good enough yet but it can only get better by switching off other methods, FM, MW etc. To switch those off needs more uptake but that is restricted because the signal is not good enough to persuade people. Catch 22 a little.

OldCroc Jan 9th, 2014 07:20

Harvey I note you have a v60. I wonder if this is just an issue with the V40 then? Perhaps a different aerial setup?