Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Car would not fire. Same issue as my old D5 ?? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320926)

JJD1 Oct 26th, 2021 12:59

Car would not fire. Same issue as my old D5 ??

Car facing down hill but only a small slope some might call"off flat" . Not sure if I can attach video ? trying but does not want to load ! .But Petrol Gauge shows 1 bar above the red zone so not empty . Battery has plenty of power So not flat etc . Would not fire at all today . UNTIL... I remembered my old D5 did the same on a wet dark night after buying it and the seller not mentioning the under seat pump float thing would stick and show the car had fuel but didnt !!

so this morning , i quickly added another gallon and it fired no problem . now got 1/2 a tank . drives fine

Could the Petrol V70 suffer the same with this float pump thing or could it be something else ? Thanks

cheshired5 Oct 26th, 2021 18:13

Pretty sure it has the same shaped saddle tank so will have a similar setup of a pump pulling fuel across as the level goes down.
If the pump fails, it can run out prematurely even if the needle is showing that the tank isn't empty.

JJD1 Oct 26th, 2021 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2780255)
Pretty sure it has the same shaped saddle tank so will have a similar setup of a pump pulling fuel across as the level goes down.
If the pump fails, it can run out prematurely even if the needle is showing that the tank isn't empty.

Pump has not failed as it works with fuel .But I think there is a float and this might be sticky ??

cheshired5 Oct 26th, 2021 20:12

The float is just to read the level so shouldn't affect flow or starting.

JJD1 Oct 26th, 2021 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2780281)
The float is just to read the level so shouldn't affect flow or starting.

But if its stuck and showing there is fuel when there is not. Then its a issue

Seems when on the first or second level guide .If you park facing up or down or even to one side many people have had the same issue .Including another member today who added fuel and his car also jumped into life

reggit Oct 27th, 2021 07:26

If the gauge is showing the last white bar above red, look at the in tank pump. This seems to be the level where it’s only reading the remaining fuel in the passenger side of the tank. I’d suggest there’s a problem with the in-tank plumbing and the pump isn’t scavenging the fuel in the passenger side.

If you’ve got Vida, read the float levels on the REM, I’m guessing it will show the driver side empty and the passenger side will read fuel remaining.

Worth changing the filter though as it’s cheap and may be gunked up.

JJD1 Oct 27th, 2021 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2780326)
If the gauge is showing the last white bar above red, look at the in tank pump. This seems to be the level where it’s only reading the remaining fuel in the passenger side of the tank. I’d suggest there’s a problem with the in-tank plumbing and the pump isn’t scavenging the fuel in the passenger side.

If you’ve got Vida, read the float levels on the REM, I’m guessing it will show the driver side empty and the passenger side will read fuel remaining.

Worth changing the filter though as it’s cheap and may be gunked up.

Thanks .

cheshired5 Oct 27th, 2021 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJD1 (Post 2780301)
But if its stuck and showing there is fuel when there is not. Then its a issue

Sure you want an accurate gauge but a faulty float still won't prevent starting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJD1 (Post 2780301)
many people have had the same issue .Including another member today who added fuel and his car also jumped into life

You've basically answered your own question.
They've got the car started with putting in more fuel not by fixing a float.

As mentioned, Vida will give the fuel level reading for both halves of the tank so very quick and easy to see the operation of both floats.