Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Speed limiter feature in XC60 T8 2024 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339362)

chriswithxc60 Apr 13th, 2024 15:36

Speed limiter feature in XC60 T8 2024

It appears that Volvo removed the user defined speed limiter setting in the cruise control in their more recent software. This was an essential feature as I usually set it to ~20 mph when driving around London.

I used to press some buttons and had a "LIM" appear on the display and I could then manually set the speed and avoid going over the speed limit. Now I have only the automated speed limit, which is frequently wrong. I have no way to make the "LIM" appear.

I don't mind Volvo adding all these features that I don't care about, but now they've removed something that was the most useful.

OldEngineer Apr 13th, 2024 22:00

This is infuriating.

I went to Volvo today and a salesman said it was definitely on the 2023 model. He obviously had no clue that the software is updated to remove it.

Just how do you get reliable information?

He also said the motorised blind has been deleted. So I asked how it is kept in place to cover the load. He fiddled for a moment until I asked to shut the tailgate. The blind motored into place! (the boot floor is downgraded to a piece of string rather than twin hydraulic struts)

sandys Apr 14th, 2024 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriswithxc60 (Post 2945392)
It appears that Volvo removed the user defined speed limiter setting in the cruise control in their more recent software. This was an essential feature as I usually set it to ~20 mph when driving around London.

I used to press some buttons and had a "LIM" appear on the display and I could then manually set the speed and avoid going over the speed limit. Now I have only the automated speed limit, which is frequently wrong. I have no way to make the "LIM" appear.

I don't mind Volvo adding all these features that I don't care about, but now they've removed something that was the most useful.

Don't you just set the speed in the cruise control and that's that, it keeps you at 20 or what ever speed you set, that's what I do, it never goes over when in B mode?

chriswithxc60 Apr 14th, 2024 09:38

I don't want cruise control in heavy traffic. I just want to drive the car and for it to prevent me from exceeding a speed that I set.

My Mercedes from 2006 had this feature and now my £65k Volvo from 2024 doesn't.

I love everything else about the car. I have it on a 9 month lease, with the intention of ordering a new one during that time but if they don't bring back this functionality I won't be buying one.

sandys Apr 14th, 2024 11:29

That functionality should be in the car, Intelligent Speed Assistance became EU law in '22, is it just called something different to what you are expecting in the menu? No doubt the old limiter did not meet EU specs so had to change.

MG14 Apr 14th, 2024 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriswithxc60 (Post 2945469)
I don't want cruise control in heavy traffic. I just want to drive the car and for it to prevent me from exceeding a speed that I set.

I don’t understand that at all. Let the cruise control do all the work. Adaptive cruise makes life so much easier as you just et it and let it drive. The only thing you need to do is blip the throttle (or button) to set it off from stationary.
I can’t see many reasons for using a speed limiter.

chriswithxc60 Apr 14th, 2024 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG14 (Post 2945516)
I don’t understand that at all. Let the cruise control do all the work. Adaptive cruise makes life so much easier as you just et it and let it drive. The only thing you need to do is blip the throttle (or button) to set it off from stationary.
I can’t see many reasons for using a speed limiter.

Number one reason: I feel safer and more comfortable using my brain and eyes for driving around urban areas than relying on the cruise control. I realize other people will have different views on this.

The combination of the human brain and vision system is generally better than the car sensors and computer. That's why we don't have self driving cars.

Volvo has simply made the car less safe with this change to an automated-only limiter. 50% of the time in London the automatic limiter switches to 30mph when the limit is 20mph. As a result I have to focus a lot more on the speed instead of my surroundings. Even outside of town I've seen the automatic speed limit recognition system read a 40mph sign on the side of a dual carriageway and suddenly brake the car, it's awful.

neilgorin Apr 15th, 2024 14:43

A manual speed limiter is essential. Cruise is a liability in traffic.

Many many Volvos do not have the system on cruise that maintains a distance to traffic in front - mine doesn't and neither have any of the 4 courtesy cars I've been in this year (XC40, XC60, S60), none of which were the lowly spec of my own car.

The speed limiter with road sign recognition is as good as useless - on my daily 20 mile each way commute it has one section of the A1 as a 30mph limit and another as a 60mph limit, when both are 70mph. It also has a busy but fast single carriageway 60 limit as a 70 and a 20 as a 30. This is just on one journey. It corrects itself if it sees a sign but not always. And then the car over reads significantly anyway, as does almost everything on the road.

Wizzpop Apr 17th, 2024 15:03

I was at my dealers today and was told that the 2024 models now ping at you if your speed is over the perceived speed limit, and cannot be turned off. Another EU directive! Stupid when my Volvo sees a 20 limit sign just off the main road (40 limit) and tells me I am over the limit. There are so many "safety" features these days which are detrimental to safe driving. So many drivers these days don't seem observe the road conditions.

techwatcher Apr 17th, 2024 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzpop (Post 2945965)
I was at my dealers today and was told that the 2024 models now ping at you if your speed is over the perceived speed limit, and cannot be turned off.

I understand that the system cannot be turned off permanently and will default to being 'on' but that it can be disabled for your current journey.