Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Headlight problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327934)

hoj Sep 27th, 2022 20:35

Headlight problem

So on a V70 D5 2005 the headlamp stalk won’t seem to work on high beam headlights come on with engine running but no “flash” and no sidelights only presume it’s something simple

Onewheel Sep 27th, 2022 22:01

In what position is the switch for the headlights?
Horizontally or verticality?

hoj Sep 27th, 2022 22:19

Horizontal to to left

xco Sep 27th, 2022 22:32

Engine on and switch in vertical position pull on stalk should give you headlights on main beam locked ..pull again should cancel main beam.

Engine on and switch in Horizontal position will give you dipped beam and pull on stalk should give you flasher but not engage main beam locked.

Intermediate position ( 10 o clock approx) should give you side lights only.

DONT FORGET TO MOVE SWITCH OUT OF THIS POSITION WHEN YOU SWITCH OFF OR YOU WILL END UP WITH A FLAT BATTERY.

Hope this helps

stuart bowes Sep 28th, 2022 13:05

I'd love to have been sitting in on the meeting when they were designing that setup, to see what drugs were being passed around at the time

or maybe it was just a case of lets have a bit of fun with this and see who gets confused by it

basically it's
> OFF / sides only / parking lights
(should have a buzzer when you open the door but doesn't)
> ON / Flash High beam
> ON / Toggle High beam

but in the wrong order

although I don't think this is the problem OP is describing

Joe Harding Sep 28th, 2022 13:24

At that age of car it's possible the switch is worn. Easy to change - ignore the Haynes approach to remove the steering wheel - just remove the column shroud, undo the screw and drop the new one in. The next to go will be the washer switch.

As an interim, and to confirm it is the switch, try dousing it in contact cleaner. It should produce a good result but the problem will return in time.

barrybritcher Sep 28th, 2022 18:56

if the rotary switch isnt on "dipped" your main beam wont stay on

turn the knob all the way to the right.

barrybritcher Sep 28th, 2022 18:57

its because its a swedish car and they have to have lights on all the time for safety

Nick6262 Sep 28th, 2022 19:08

My guess is that position 0 is everything off in some markets where DRL aren't required/wanted. That way it kinda makes sense.

Whoever designed the lighting did make some questionable decisions though eg. why do the puddle lights only come on with the yellow button on the keyfob rather than on unlocking?

T5R92011 Sep 28th, 2022 21:27

You can always get the setting switched to regular mode through a laptop that has VIDA software installed (and the DICE connection cable).

If i recall there are 3 switchable modes for the headlamps but I can't remember what the 3rd option does.

I also need to check whether the rain sensor can be deactivated within VIDA, as my 04 has the rain sensing wipers, but they arent the best, so I need to see if I can disable them via the software. I noticed if you unplug the rain sensor cable, the wiper "sensitivity" dial automatically changes function back to being an "intermittent wiper frequency", which I much prefer. However, I'd rather alter it via the software, than having to physically unplug the cable.