Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Noisy Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325005)

Longweekend Apr 23rd, 2022 21:35

Noisy Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Just had 4 x tyres fitted and the road noise is really loud!! anyone else had this problem?

krzemien Apr 23rd, 2022 21:45

Not sure about your experience with Michelin tyres but they are made of rather hard rubber compound so if you have used Pirellis before - which are very soft - this would not be surprising at all...

Longweekend Apr 23rd, 2022 22:03

Yes I had Pirelli Zero on before, though during winter I had winter tyres on and they were nothing like the Michelin's. It's so bad I even thought the front bearings had suddenly gone..

Ulrikas PA Apr 23rd, 2022 23:08

It must be this derivative of Michelins, as I have Cross Climate 2 on my V60 and they are unnoticeable for noise. The noise rating is 69db vs 71db which doesn't look much different on paper but I think that makes them 3x as loud ?

Maybe experiment a bit with tyre pressures - go closer to the 'fully loaded' setting ?

Familyman 90 Apr 24th, 2022 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by krzemien (Post 2820708)
Not sure about your experience with Michelin tyres but they are made of rather hard rubber compound so if you have used Pirellis before - which are very soft - this would not be surprising at all...

That odd, because I changed away from Pirellis as I found them too noisy and not especiqlly communicative. I went to Michelin Cross Climate 2's, which were far quieter, and then onto Hankook Kinergy 4S2, which are quieter still

ilmiont Apr 24th, 2022 08:44

In my experience the Pilot Sport 4 can be distinctly noisy over uneven and worn surfaces. On a good sealed surface, they’re quite innocuous though.

I’ve just changed my front tyres to the new Pilot Sport 5. The tone is a little different but still seems to have the same characteristics.

The PS5 is probably a little harder as it’s claimed to wear much better, while still offering a marginal grip improvement - this tyre is as yet unproven but so far I’m finding it very similar to the PS4.

Longweekend Apr 24th, 2022 09:10

Well after just spending my hard earned cash I'm not in a position to change them again so will have to experiment with different pressures though as I tow often they are slightly above the normal rating...

scissors Apr 25th, 2022 14:23

Hi Longweekend,

Please could you let me know what car you have? I'm considering PS4's on a S60 D4 with 18-inch wheels and you might have just put me off.

Cloth Ears Apr 25th, 2022 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA (Post 2820722)
It must be this derivative of Michelins, as I have Cross Climate 2 on my V60 and they are unnoticeable for noise. The noise rating is 69db vs 71db which doesn't look much different on paper but I think that makes them 3x as loud ?

Maybe experiment a bit with tyre pressures - go closer to the 'fully loaded' setting ?

I think you may be slightly mistaken on the loudness thing here. A 3dB change is twice as much energy, but subjectively my understanding is that 'twice as loud' requires a 10dB change. So 69-71dB will definitely make a noticeable difference, but won't be twice as loud, or anything like it.

Ulrikas PA Apr 25th, 2022 16:28

Ah ok, 2 x the energy DNE 2 x as loud. Scales eh ! Weather gets complicated as well.