Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   wayward steering (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23850)

austingipsy Aug 31st, 2006 00:26

wayward steering

Here's a weird thing, when a took my amazon in for its MOT (it past yeha !) it had nice direct steering and was a very stable car. (Although not a very mobile car if you read my other posts) anyway since i've got it back i noticed the steering gets very light and the whole car feels unsteady at anything over about 45/50. Was fine driving around country lanes but driving along the dual carriageway the other day i was nearly soiling myself! car felt very jittery.
Can't see what the MOT guy could have done other than give the wheels a good shoogle and check for play which was obviously ok and the shocks must be fine so all a bit strange.

222s Aug 31st, 2006 08:59

Have you checked the tyre pressures? If they were over-inflated, that could cause this sort of change in the steering / handling.

austingipsy Aug 31st, 2006 10:22

Tyre pressure was 26 psi, i'm only checking with the guage on the footpump though which could be well of the mark.

CTCNetwork Aug 31st, 2006 11:18

Hi,

Not sure what your pressures should be.

However, I would recommend that you, and indeed anyone, has a good pressure guage in the car to check the tyres.
Garage air guages are also notoriously inaccurate.
And tyres should be checked before journey start as warming the tyres will increase pressure thus distorting the settings you need.

Des. . . ;)

Stanleywindrush Aug 31st, 2006 12:58

HI - my two penny worth

HI Baz here,

Have a look at my thread on a garage to do 4 wheel alighnment - loads to think about there!!

MOT would have checked the ball joints - that leaves a more major reason - mine was too much toe out, and incorrect shims affecting camber, caster and king pin inclinantion.

Go for the toe in - garage can do this with lasers for FRONT WHEELS ONLY! thanks boys - read the thread and you will see how I was let down!

Good luck..

B

amazondean Aug 31st, 2006 15:30

If the car was fine before it is unlikely to be wrong camber/ caster unless you didn't realise there was a problem before. I run my camazons at around 35 psi and find no difference in handling eccept lighter steering when parking.

Have you had a look at the steering shaft from the steering wheel in the engine bay were it meets the second shaft. There is a universal joint here. I had very vague steering once that got worse and worse. Found this joint hanging by one loose bolt. Could have been disasterous.

alexgeorge Aug 31st, 2006 17:42

Ive also noticed this on my car, if you atempt to go over 60 it suddenly becomes really light and you feel like you have no control at all.
Ill check the camber and see if it makes a difference. One question though, if you run your tyres at 35 psi don't you lose alot of grip, mine are currently 28

amazondean Aug 31st, 2006 17:53

Makes no difference. I may be foolish in saying this, but I have never found a problem in twenty years having more pressure in the tyres than reccomended. I believe it's the armchair mechanics that tell you otherwise. Of course their will be a limit to how far you can safely go but I have never found a problem at 35 psi.

grantbennett2 Aug 31st, 2006 19:05

I run mine at 32 front and 30 rear as , as recomended by the tyre fitter

austingipsy Sep 1st, 2006 00:59

Well today i bought one of those digital tyre pressure readers and my halfords footpump is a big fat liar ! 25 psi one side 40 psi on the other ! its a wonder i didn't end up in a ditch.I tried with the footpump gauge and got 26 both sides, gave it a thump on the side and the needle shot round to 42 ! It had a very slow puncture on one side when i took it for the mot, well actualy not a puncture just a bad seal on the rim, bit rusted. So i guess after sitting all day waiting for the test it must have gone soft and garage must have given it a blast with an air line before i collected it.
40 psi though thats a bit hefty.
Anyway its nice when its something simple, cheers guys.