Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   G/box: 70 Auto: who is to blame (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96352)

jack taylor May 24th, 2010 00:46

who is to blame

Hi, My mechanic spoke to The Braydon motor company of London to obtain an auto gearbox for my 1996 850 2.5 20v.He informs me that he gave Braydon the year, model, engine size and the chassis number. Braydon delivered an auto box which turns out to be for a 1998 V70 and this was then fitted.They assured my mechanic that this box was correct for my car. My mechanic didn`t check the part numbers before fitting the box. The end result is that it will not go into 4th gear. Braydon are not responding to my mechanics complaint and I have a gearbox that is no good. Experienced guys on this forum have said that I need a new gearbox control unit to match the gearbox.I am hoping that this course of action is the answer but if not I am looking at spending further money to get the correct box.
Braydon are at fault but should my mechanic have looked at the old box fitted to my car to obtain the part number or should he have given the engine number.One or both of them is at fault so before I start shouting at my mechanic what do you guys think please. Thanks Jack.

lyron May 24th, 2010 10:35

oh dear.sorry to hear of your problems.in your situation.i beleive that your mechanic should have checked the numbers on the box.before instalation.also the box supplier.is at fault for issuing the wrong box.as it is not fit for purpose.asuming that.you can prove without doubt that your mechanic gave the correct details.ie.written.order.i would contact your local trading standards office.and see what they can do.hope this is of help lyron.

malcolmk May 24th, 2010 11:36

hi,not sure if this advice will help,i bought an engine for my ph1 v70 from Braydon,and my mechanic said it was the wrong one,when i phoned Braydon,they said it was fit for purpose but as it came off a 4wd certain parts will have to be changed from my engine,they phoned the mechanic and all was sorted,so it may be an idea to phone them yourselves,and ask if they will phone your mechanic,it worked for me.malcolmk

stevesvolvo May 24th, 2010 11:57

Tend to agree with malcolmK and lyron . Trading Standards though are pretty toothless and will just send a letter , eventually, which the garage can and will ignore!
Slightly surprised your guy didn't check it all out before fitting but talking helps at this stage.
You went to a reputable company so I am sure they will help if you tackle it right
Sorry

Toplights May 24th, 2010 12:53

Phone Braydon,I am shure their not in buisiness to shortchange their customers.malcolmk has a point,maybe it just needs modding a bit to fit.have a chat Jack and get you'r mechanic involved.stay calm and i'm shure you can resolve you'r problem.good luck with it.