Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   DPF Temperature Sensor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319795)

zikomo Sep 6th, 2021 14:14

DPF Temperature Sensor

I have a fault code ECM-2A10 - DPF temperature sensor, signal too high.
When I look at live data it appears to be at a constant high temp, even when starting from cld. So I am pretty sure it is the sensor.
Engine System Service Urgent message the dash and red triangle, car initially appears to be in limp mode when started then this seems to clear and the car drives (relatively) normally.
Is there anything else I should check before ordering a new sensor? And does anyone know of clear instructions/pics/vids of the replacement process? I have had a search and can't find any!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
XC90 2.4 D5 2010 114k miles

Tannaton Sep 6th, 2021 16:23

Not an uncommon problem and replacement is easy, other than the sesnor can be quite tight to undo...

zikomo Sep 6th, 2021 18:03

But were is it located??? And instructions to replace?

ltec Sep 6th, 2021 18:25

Its right in front of the dpf filter. You cant miss it. Get your new one and you'll know your right.
The wire from it runs down the left hand side and joins around the subframe.
If it screws its very easy. An open end spanner probably won't open it it'll be that tight. You'll probably have to commit to changing it and cut the wire so a ring spanner fits on it.

cheshired5 Sep 6th, 2021 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by zikomo (Post 2768413)
instructions to replace?

You quoted a Volvo fault code so if you have Vida, the part number and replacement process is detailed there.

If you don't have Vida, definitely get Vida if you want to do your own work.

Tannaton Sep 6th, 2021 23:31

Get underneath the car it’s the silencer looking box in the exhaust system up front near the engine. It has two small pipes coming out of it on the sides for the pressure differential sensor.

owenfackrell Sep 7th, 2021 23:22

When mine went, with the same code it was reading 3-400 degrees when cold. It cost me about £100 or so from Volvo for a new one. I soaked it in penetrating oil the night before changing it and it did come out relatively smoothly. You can’t miss it when under the car.

zikomo Sep 8th, 2021 08:17

Thanks all. Have ordered a new part. It seems it will be hard to remove the old one, so might have to cut the wire to get a ring spanner on it. Hence am nervous about going after the wrong sensor! Seems a common fault and fix, so surprising I can't find any detailed instructions/vids online. Vida makes it seem quite straightforward though.

Might do a short vid myself when I change it!

Now on to addressing the AWD problem....

zikomo Sep 8th, 2021 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by owenfackrell (Post 2768752)
When mine went, with the same code it was reading 3-400 degrees when cold. It cost me about £100 or so from Volvo for a new one. I soaked it in penetrating oil the night before changing it and it did come out relatively smoothly. You can’t miss it when under the car.

Exactly the same symptom, it reads a constant (high) temperature from cold.

zikomo Sep 8th, 2021 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2768448)
You quoted a Volvo fault code so if you have Vida, the part number and replacement process is detailed there.

If you don't have Vida, definitely get Vida if you want to do your own work.

I have VIDA (from you!). Interestingly it lists 2 different part numbers for the sensor. Any idea why that might be?