Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Fix or sell v70 2.4 Petrol (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=337564)

scorpio stu Jan 16th, 2024 20:53

Fix or sell v70 2.4 Petrol

Hi
2002 v70 2.4 petrol.
Overheated on the motorway, filled up with coolant and got the car home.
It has a missfire cylinder 3.
Needs exhaust middle and rear.
Mechanic thinks it may point towards a cracked block but not certain. He did say that with the issues it's not worth throwing more money at it.
It's my sons car and he loves it but just can't afford to do all the repairs. Good bodywork.
165000 miles and mot mid April.
Also needs the dash fixed £65.
Fix,scrap or sell as is ?
Not sure what to do.

mcfe Jan 17th, 2024 11:09

If you sell it, mention the issue so the next owner at least knows whats going on.

When these engines blow a HG or overheat, the block may be warped and needs machining in addition to the head. If it's cracked in any way such as cylinder crack, it's not fixable and you scrap the engine.

Regardless of what issue it is specifically, the engine likely needs to be pulled.

scorpio stu Jan 23rd, 2024 18:01

New set of coils ordered to see if that sorts the misfire out. I've decided I'm going to throw a few parts at it as there's still 3 months before the mot.
I know the coils are ebay cheapie but at £20 I'll give it a go.
New thermostat fitted and no overheating at the moment. Fingers crossed that's sorted.
If the coils fix the misfire the. I'll replace the exhaust.

stuart bowes Jan 23rd, 2024 19:35

If it goes to the point of scrap value, definitely think about pulling some bits and selling on ebay before letting the scrap man take the remains, im thinking headlights they go for like £80 each if in good nick, interior especially if leather easily a couple hundred, the centre console if that's in good nick try finding one of them on ebay they're like gold dust, how good are the alloys, bumpers, etc etc

wishbones, even if the rubbers are knackered someone will want them to polybush, that's an easy £50-60 for the pair I reckon

some people even want original radio units if it's in good working order, personally I just lobbed mine in the bin but originality is a big thing now for some reason

if you have the space / time / enthusiasm to break it you could probably make a few quid

scorpio stu Jan 26th, 2024 13:18

We have an update.
No overheating, new thermostat fitted.
No missfire, replaced all the coils
Just need a complete exhaust now

JoeNinety Jan 26th, 2024 16:39

"Just need a complete exhaust now"

Try here on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/usr/rsj-c...&segname=11401

Sorted me out for cat back system, lots of advice to help find the correct exhaust.

scorpio stu Feb 2nd, 2024 12:20

It's all fixed, new exhaust as well.
Now my son who's car it is says he can't afford to run it.

stuart bowes Feb 2nd, 2024 12:43

blimey well at least now it's a runner you should be at least able to make your money back.. depending how much it owes you

john.wigley Feb 2nd, 2024 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio stu (Post 2934051)
It's all fixed, new exhaust as well.
Now my son who's car it is says he can't afford to run it.

Why so? As a runner it is probably worth a grand or so. Early V70s are presently at the bottom of their depreciation curve, so near zero depreciation.

What is he going to replace it with? A worn out Corsa costing twice as much may do a few more MPG, but you can buy a lot of petrol for the difference. The Volvo will also be safer, and probably cost less in repairs and replacements. For these reasons, my 2000 Ph 1 V70 has the lowest operating cost in pence per mile of all of our cars.

Then there is the Devil that you know; a 10 year old Corsa could have more faults than you can shake a stick at! Unless he can afford to be without a car altogether, I would advise him to think again.

There is more to economical motoring than the cost of fuel.

Regards, John.

bigboz Feb 2nd, 2024 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2934075)
Why so? As a runner it is probably worth a grand or so. Early V70s are presently at the bottom of their depreciation curve, so near zero depreciation.

What is he going to replace it with? A worn out Corsa costing twice as much may do a few more MPG, but you can buy a lot of petrol for the difference. The Volvo will also be safer, and probably cost less in repairs and replacements. For these reasons, my 2000 Ph 1 V70 has the lowest operating cost in pence per mile of all of our cars.

Then there is the Devil that you know; a 10 year old Corsa could have more faults than you can shake a stick at! Unless he can afford to be without a car altogether, I would advise him to think again.

There is more to economical motoring than the cost of fuel.

Regards, John.

Road tax and insurance are more impactful than fuel costs would be my guess.

I'm with you John in terms of depreciation and fuel costs and frankly my £400 a year tax is irrelevant in so much as I pay over £700 for another vehical, nothing for another and a bit less for another so all in all it balances out.......but I'm old (ISH)