Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   V40 D3 Power sockets (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239314)

andrewtayloruk Nov 4th, 2015 10:44

V40 D3 Power sockets

Hi and thanks in advance for your help.

I've just bought a V40 D3 (2014) and was having an issue getting my phone to charge using the 12v sockets. I looked it up in the manual and it said something about position of the ignition key fob but to be honest i have no idea what it's talking about. It says for the sockets to work the fob has to be at position |. As you just push the key into the slot and there's no 'position' other than inserted / not inserted i was wondering if anybody could help me out.

Is there something i'm missing here?

If somebody could help i'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Pchende Nov 4th, 2015 12:19

When you put the key in the slot. If you press the start on (ignition button) without pressing the clutch to start the engine it turns all of the electrics on

andrewtayloruk Nov 4th, 2015 12:29

Thanks for getting back to me, i'll give this a go when i get home later today.

Pchende Nov 4th, 2015 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewtayloruk (Post 2005306)
Thanks for getting back to me, i'll give this a go when i get home later today.

Cool let me know how you get on.

Gotcha Nov 5th, 2015 12:33

Insert the key, without pressing clutch/brake to start, one short press will put the ignition on - Position 1, and a long press will put the ignition on position 2

andrewtayloruk Nov 11th, 2015 13:53

Thanks for the replies, for some reason i'm still not able to charge anything.

Just to confirm should the usb socket in the arm rest charge my mobile phone?

Andrew

civilservant Nov 11th, 2015 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewtayloruk (Post 2008998)
Just to confirm should the usb socket in the arm rest charge my mobile phone?

Andrew

It charges mine via the USB socket.

PhilSkill Nov 11th, 2015 21:35

I noticed our charges from the 12V socket in the centre console under the arm rest but the 12V in the centre console main section does not seem to work. Guess it could be a fuse, but haven't had time to look?

conedia Nov 12th, 2015 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSkill (Post 2009261)
I noticed our charges from the 12V socket in the centre console under the arm rest but the 12V in the centre console main section does not seem to work. Guess it could be a fuse, but haven't had time to look?

I find that centre 12V a bit problematical as well. I keep my GPS device plugged into that. Sometimes it loses the power. If I keep the plug not fully home, but just a little short of being fully inserted, that seems to work better.

andrewtayloruk Nov 12th, 2015 12:29

I'm guessing that it's quite easy to blow the fuses for the 12v sockets by plugging something that's drawing too much power.

I'll find out where the fuses are located and take a look, i'm a bit loathe to start messing around too much because i've only had the car a week and it's due to go into Volvo early December anyway.