Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wheel Spacer advice for T4 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319065)

Ginga Aug 9th, 2021 17:47

Wheel Spacer advice for T4

It’s been a while since I post anything but time has come to freshen up the T4 handling manners.
Shock absorber and front top mounts are new, steering rods are going to be changed as well.
But I reckon fitting some spacers would help give the T4 better stability.
I’m not thinking in changing wheels but I found some topics noting that 17” Arcadia’s would rub on 1st gen T4. With this in mind does anyone have any experience fitting spacers with standard 16” bbs wheels without any rubbing?
Would 10mm spacers “fit”?

Thanks for helping!

Technician Aug 14th, 2021 17:04

Naturally any spacer you use needs to be safe, so avoid anything on eBay if your going over 5mm.

You also need to take into consideration that the tread of the tyre must be equal or within the wheel arch at the top so as not to cause dangerous levels of spray.

Arcadia rubbing is the result of where two bolts secure the trim in the rear wheel arch. On Phase 2 factory Arcadia cars these bolts are changed to rivets.

I have 15mm front spacers fitted to my S60 as I have fitted the 'R' brakes and not the Pegasus alloys, and it still rubs on full lock...something S60 and V70 have an MOT exemption for I discovered. The rear has 20mm due to an ordering error by me, but suits the car perfect. They are made by a company called Bimecc and supplied by TRS in Milton Keynes.

You should safely be able to go to 10mm and maybe up to 15mm before there is not enough hub flange for the spacer to grip compared to how much it's protruding from the hub, any bigger and you would have to use a hubcentric type spacer. You will of course need longer wheel studs fitted to the hub so that the nuts have something to grip.

Has your car got an upper front stut brace? This gives you a slightly sharper front end. Also have you thought about upgrading the front brakes to the Mitsubishi lancer 3 (and some other models) caliper and disc setup. Really gives it some stopping power.

Hope this info helps.

Clan Aug 14th, 2021 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technician (Post 2762215)
Naturally any spacer you use needs to be safe, so avoid anything on eBay if your going over 5mm.

You also need to take into consideration that the tread of the tyre must be equal or within the wheel arch at the top so as not to cause dangerous levels of spray.

Arcadia rubbing is the result of where two bolts secure the trim in the rear wheel arch. On Phase 2 factory Arcadia cars these bolts are changed to rivets.

I have 15mm front spacers fitted to my S60 as I have fitted the 'R' brakes and not the Pegasus alloys, and it still rubs on full lock...something S60 and V70 have an MOT exemption for I discovered. The rear has 20mm due to an ordering error by me, but suits the car perfect. They are made by a company called Bimecc and supplied by TRS in Milton Keynes.

You should safely be able to go to 10mm and maybe up to 15mm before there is not enough hub flange for the spacer to grip compared to how much it's protruding from the hub, any bigger and you would have to use a hubcentric type spacer. You will of course need longer wheel studs fitted to the hub so that the nuts have something to grip.

Has your car got an upper front stut brace? This gives you a slightly sharper front end. Also have you thought about upgrading the front brakes to the Mitsubishi lancer 3 (and some other models) caliper and disc setup. Really gives it some stopping power.

Hope this info helps.

The cars with factory arcadia have the rear arch lip rolled over a bit to give clearance on full bump ..

V40T4R Aug 21st, 2021 00:51

Hi Ginga,
I have replaced inner and outer track rod ends and it can make a very nice difference. Changing the anti roll bar bushes, also makes it even better.
Still using stock BBS Craters, can't advice on wheel spacers, sorry