Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wrinkled door cards (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102132)

Eddy Matthews Aug 9th, 2010 20:43

Wrinkled door cards

Has anyone sorted out badly wrinkled doorcards on a 960?

I'm after any hints and tips on doing them, apart from simply replacing with new or secondhand parts...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated....

Regards
Eddy

Jim760 Aug 9th, 2010 21:05

ther eisnt much really you can do about it.. ive heard of people going at them with heat guns, pealign the material back and trying to re-stick it.. or even pealing it off alltogether and painting the cards instead.. personally id just replace it... not ideal maybe, but the best option.

Oilydad Aug 9th, 2010 21:35

Try injecting clear adhesive with a small, thin syringe (most chemists will sell you one if you tell them what its for). and then using a a hairdryer. Not as severe as a heat gun, and with some care it can make them look a bit better.

Not a job to rush though.

jpliddy Aug 9th, 2010 21:47

my door cards failed too . i even spoke to a bently interior specilist i live not far from crewe . the best addvice was get a set from another 940 . so i did from ebay any cars that have not crinkled by now wont .

Eddy Matthews Aug 9th, 2010 22:03

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the advice - I've placed a "wanted" ad on the forum to see if anyone can help with some door cards - With luck someone might just have a set?

Regards
Eddy

Jim760 Aug 9th, 2010 22:49

there was talk of this before, now i think of it.. im sure its the later 940 ones that dont wrinkle.. as there was different glue or something used? might be worth doing a serch on it

gpl1968 Aug 10th, 2010 01:03

My 1997 945 came with wrinkled door cards. Luckily I had kept the door cards from my previous, 1990 945(scrapped) which were identical and not wrinkled, and these were fitted.
The reason for the wrinkling was apparently the use of useless eco-friendly glue.
You may be lucky finding a good set. If not, you might find an upholsterer that can apply leather strips to the top of the door cards maybe.

migrator Aug 10th, 2010 17:49

My latest 960 estate has 'overcome' the problem. The front doors have leatherette covers made to measure that go over the top of the door card. They are glued in place and are also held down by the 'wooden'door trims. I have been trying to find out where they were made but no luck yet. I could do with another pair for the rear doors.

Eddy Matthews Aug 10th, 2010 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by migrator (Post 721375)
My latest 960 estate has 'overcome' the problem. The front doors have leatherette covers made to measure that go over the top of the door card. They are glued in place and are also held down by the 'wooden'door trims. I have been trying to find out where they were made but no luck yet. I could do with another pair for the rear doors.

Would it be possible to post a photo of those? I've been thinking of doing something similar myself....

Regards
Eddy

migrator Aug 10th, 2010 21:53

As soon as I pushed the post button I said to myself that someone would want some photos. Fast Eddy gets the cigar. :)

I will see what I can do on the photo front.