Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ok i want ur storys of volvo tuffness (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=14426)

jaceuk Jan 4th, 2006 14:29

ok i want ur storys of volvo tuffness

loved the older car owner thread made me chuckle,so cheer me up while i wait for the damn car seller to MOT my 460 which was promised to be ready at ten :mad:
gettin fed up,so cheer me up and tell me your tales of volvo's withstand nuclear attacks or at least being rammed by another car,the funnier the better
thank you

dave r Jan 5th, 2006 09:54

This didn't happen to me,and I was told the story second-hand by a work colleague. It happened a couple of years ago at a level-crossing near Peterborough. A steady stream of traffic was approaching the crossing at a reasonable speed when the signalman activated the crossing lights and the lead car hit the anchors a bit rapidly. This unfortunately resulted in a seven car nose- to- tail shunt, a lot of damage was seen to be done except to the slightly tatty 740est located somewhere near the centre of the heap, apparently all that happened was that both front doors of the 'brick' flew open on impact and no other damage was visible.
P.S. after plod had taken statements and everyone had exchanged details the Volvo was the only vehicle seen to be driven away from the scene under it's own steam. (plenty of everybody else's steam about though!)

5lab Jan 5th, 2006 10:12

360 driven into a wall @ 30mph

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/c/images/100_3344.jpg

360 driven into a truck at high speeds

http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/crash...s/100_3457.jpg

lorry was on the wrong side of the road on a blind hill :P

dodgyken Jan 5th, 2006 12:46

The night before I moved to Switzerland I was driving home turned the corner, thought goes through my head "that car seems to be stopping rather quickly where are its brake lights" SMACK

Went into the back of an Astra Estate at about 30 mph, I smashed a headlight and the 2 dangly fog lights dropped off - the bonnet was bent slightly on the corner. The Astra was a right off and all the other cars in front couldnt move. Meanwhile once the police had attended - and the policeman cursed old Volvos as being indestructible and the death of many a speeding motorcyclist - I turned the engine over, reversed and drove home.

I then fabricated a headlight, sidelight and indicator from some plastic, transparent duck tape and some orange paint - before buying one the following day at a scrapyard in Germany.

I have never figured out how Volvos get to be in scrapyards??? Although the 120mph head on crash that they did on 5th gear between an BMW E34 525 and a Volvo 940 might explain it!

Suterman Jan 5th, 2006 14:57

half a tonne of sand and grit in the back across and open field

MissDMeanor Jan 11th, 2006 01:21

Last summer I was :car-smiley-003: from Shropshire to Kent with my :bowwow: in the back listening to:music-smiley-010: . I spent some:money: refuelling in Oxford. So far so good and carried on :car-smiley-003:

I reached the M25 and the traffic. After a lot of :clock: I knew I badly needed to pee as I was beginning to feel:speechless-smiley-0 .The :car-smiley-003:s still weren't moving so I searched my:car-smiley-003: for a :bowl: to pee in. I couldn't find anything and there were too many lorry drivers with a birds eye view around so there was nothing for it (before my bladder:Banane54: ) but to :car-smiley-003: on the hard shoulder. This was on the M25 where the hard shoulder :animal-smiley-037: out every few 100 yards. Do you think :secret: would let me back in????:angry: :speechless-smiley-0 :cry_smile: Finally I :car-smiley-003: into the most opportune place which happened to be a :Banane35: doubled up in :speechless-smiley-0 and relieved myself.

Feeling a bit:) I :car-smiley-003: back to the M25. Not much further a big :smilie_stier:y :car-smiley-003: a white van overtook me from the inside and :Banane45: into the side of me. Next thing I knew I was on the central reservation. I looked in my mirror and saw behind me:car-smiley-003: :car-smiley-003: :car-smiley-003: :car-smiley-003: so had to keep:car-smiley-003: . The white van :Banane36: off but I caught him up and got his number. I was feeling rather:Banane25: so pulled the police over as soon as I could. They listened and promptly:loser: out that my Road Angel would soon be illegal:whatchutalkingabout

Needless to say this was one of my worst journeys ever

:Banane37:

MissDMeanor Jan 11th, 2006 01:27

PS I thanked my lucky:star: that I wasn't:Banane11: thanks to my :car-smiley-031:

Thank you Volvo for putting a steel plate behind the wing mirrors:)

And I'd like to add that I've never before used the hard shoulder for something other than a breakdown and hopefully I never will again - it was an emergency

GorgeousGeorge Jan 11th, 2006 09:17

mornin

the missus drove our sierra, yup a sierra, into the side of a V40.

dented the door of the V40, a tiny dent at that, and bent the chassis of the sierra as well as stuffing up the wing/bumper/light etc etc etc.

so what did we get next, a simple choice really, a V40..

cheers

scott

222s Jan 11th, 2006 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorgeousGeorge
the missus drove our sierra, yup a sierra, into the side of a V40.
dented the door of the V40, a tiny dent at that, and bent the chassis of the sierra as well as stuffing up the wing/bumper/light etc etc etc

My Amazon had a similar experience when dad was driving it - small crease in the door (didn't even break the paint) but the other car (IIRC, a Peugeot) had to be towed away :car-smiley-031:

Pedro Fandango Jan 11th, 2006 13:57

not concerntrating i drove my cheesewedge into the back of Sierra that was messing at a T junction (i was looking, seen it clear & went while they had stopped for a picnic i think). Got out & the back of the Sierra was a mess, towbar was bent to 1 side, bumper shattered & the rear wing was rippled. Looked at mine & the only thing wrong was a cracked number plate. Bloke asked me "what the hell is that", wasn't surprised when i told him a Volvo lol