Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Radio Code (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=17929)

-bobda- Apr 3rd, 2006 13:07

Radio Code

Nuts!

I got my 2002 S40 in January and I've just taken it into Draytons (an independent, non-franchise dealer) for it's 60k mile service.
It's got HID lights, so to change a sidelight bulb, they had to remove the battery and on reconnection, the radio is asking for a code.

They've got a code for the VIN of my car, but the radio I have doesn't accept it. Draytons reckon the radio has been swapped at some point.

Is there any way of finding out the radio code without taking it out and to a decoding place?

Help me, please! :emoticon_U:

peteS40 Apr 3rd, 2006 13:30

You should be able to get a code from volvo if they have all the details for your car. But it sounds like this is what the garage did, and the code didn't work. In which case I don't think there is any other way to find the right code apart from to decode as you say :(

I had a similar problem with the radio in my old rover coupe I got one off the dealer but it didn't work. Fortunately on those radios you could try the code before you needed it, so I just realised I would have to make sure I never disconnected the battery if I wanted to keep using the radio! I don't think there's any way to do it on volvo radios.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to upgrade your ICE?! :D

-bobda- Apr 3rd, 2006 15:42

I've done a quick search on here and seen a few posts from people who have found out their codes from other members on here (who I presume work for Volvo).

Can anyone on here help me? I like music and I'll go mad without my radio! :(

xxx-850R-xxx Apr 3rd, 2006 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by -bobda-
I've done a quick search on here and seen a few posts from people who have found out their codes from other members on here (who I presume work for Volvo).

Can anyone on here help me? I like music and I'll go mad without my radio! :(

What model is your radio?

-bobda- Apr 3rd, 2006 16:08

It's an HU605, if I remember correctly.

xxx-850R-xxx Apr 3rd, 2006 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by -bobda-
It's an HU605, if I remember correctly.

You can try phoning volvo direct and asking them nicely with all the details of your car, or they are easily decoded by a radio decoder for about £10.

If you are local i can decode it for you!

migrator Apr 3rd, 2006 19:56

Volvo will only hold details of the original equipment against any given registration number. If someone has changed to a different Volvo head unit and advised Volvo, then the updated details only will be held. Some dealers will give out this info for free some will charge a minimum of £10.00 for the info.

Decode discs from eBay are a 'hit and miss' affair. Any time Ihave asked any of the sellers to prove the accuracy of the goods being sold I have not even received a reply. From that you can guess as to the accuracy of what is on sale.

Have you tried to contact the seller of the car (previous keeper if from a trader) to ask if they recall the code or if they noted it down somewhere? Have you fully checked through any documents that came with the car? I have sometimes found radio codes hidden in stange places within the documentation.

-bobda- Apr 3rd, 2006 20:18

Never fear, my superior intellect solved the problem...

I went to pick the car up this evening, the garage was closed, so I couldn't see anyone except the key guy, but I got in, radio obviously asked for the code so I had a quick shufty in the glove box, just in case and I found a small piece of broken plastic on the glove box tray. I remember when I bought the car it had this bit of plastic in the glove box and I was SO close to binning it...am I glad I didn't!

It contains the code and the serial number for my head unit, and it worked first time! :D

Cheers for the help, guys!

PS - which CD changers will work with the HU605?