Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   New Turbo Fitted now permanent limp mode (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=246128)

webbyd5 Mar 6th, 2016 11:03

New Turbo Fitted now permanent limp mode

Hi guys,
I am a new member and I currently own 2 volvos, 1 of which is causing me a lot of headache. It's a 2001 S60 D5 S.
All I kept getting is the dreaded EM6805 code after 2 weeks of owning it and have now spent 6 months and lots of £££ trying to suss were to go next. After reading a lot if threads on this site I have decided to post my progress so far and see if I can get this bloody car working again as it should.

It started throwing up the engine service required message when I was going over 70 mph on the motorway or when I gave it some beans and took the revs over 3000 rpm.

I have checked and replaced so far going off the forum posts...

Both front and rear engine mounts
Vac lines
Vac control unit
Turbo control module
Turbo
Fuel filter
Part blanked the egr
Checked all hoses and clips
Pressure tested intercooler

After trying all the above the last resort was the turbo. I had read about the vnt's becoming coked up so I gave it a bash. 1 mishap later and the turbo was smashed whilst trying to expose the internals. So I bought a good condition second hand turbo from eBay. Cleaned it externally and checked shaft and actuator. Everything was sound and moved freely.

The last job that I carried out was the turbo. It ran fine and with plenty of power for at least 2 miles then.... engine service required and now is in permanent limp mode. I also changed the oil and filter for the second time in 6 months but now - No power no turbo noise nothing. I have read the codes it was throwing up and its the same every time 6805 boost control pressure faulty. I am at the end of my tether with it now and just want the dam thing to work! I think I have had 2 weeks since owning it that it has really worked properly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

martin_r_smith Mar 6th, 2016 11:23

What about the MAP sensor? A faulty unit or split pipe to it would cause your problems.

webbyd5 Mar 6th, 2016 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_r_smith (Post 2072616)
What about the MAP sensor? A faulty unit or split pipe to it would cause your problems.

Hi Martin, I have had the MAF off as well but not replaced it. I cleaned it within an inch of its life with plenty of carb cleaner.... do you think I'm better off changing it?
Cheers
Dave

martin_r_smith Mar 6th, 2016 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbyd5 (Post 2072623)
Hi Martin, I have had the MAF off as well but not replaced it. I cleaned it within an inch of its life with plenty of carb cleaner.... do you think I'm better off changing it?
Cheers
Dave

Not the maf the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor

webbyd5 Mar 6th, 2016 12:19

Oh right, sorry Martin I've not come across this in any forum (pardon my ignorance) but where is this sensor located? Is it the one in the cold air feed pipe just before the turbo?
Cheers
Dave

martin_r_smith Mar 6th, 2016 12:37

I imagine it's on the intercooler on yours or maybe a pipe coming off the inlet manifold. Basically it tells the ecu how much boost pressure there is, this in turn sends a signal to the boost controller to regulate the boost pressure.

webbyd5 Mar 6th, 2016 13:02

I'm going to try to locate it then give it a clean. Will keep you posted mate. Thanks!

cheshired5 Mar 6th, 2016 13:10

On a 2001, the MAP should be on top of the engine near the oil filler and you'd be best to stop spraying carb cleaner on sensors too.
With basic and cheap diagnostics, you can check the operation of your most important sensors within minutes to save guessing.

webbyd5 Mar 6th, 2016 14:24

Hi Cheshired5,
Yes you're right
I have managed to located the sensor on top of the rocker cover. The thing is the diagnostic tool I have been using has brought up the code EM6805 every time I drive it now and there is absolutely no turbo pressure or boost as mentioned before, but that is all I can fathom. Do you suggest I change this sensor? How would I test this?

webbyd5 Mar 6th, 2016 14:30

Do you also suggest using contact cleaner on sensors instead of carb cleaner?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers