Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   D4 VEA EGR Problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237346)

Ninja59 Sep 30th, 2015 16:41

D4 VEA EGR Problems

Hi All,

Just out of interest how many of the D4 V40 owners have suffered with EGR valve or EGR related problems?

Interestingly our D4 started with just over 14K on the clock going into limp mode, EGR related issues where the cooler had failed all pipework and valve replaced.

I know we have had the XC60 owners but I am uncertain as to how many we have seen in the V40?

cheshired5 Sep 30th, 2015 16:55

If it's the same engine, it'll have the same inherent fault regardless of what model it's fitted to.

Panther22 Oct 2nd, 2015 15:33

Mine had the EGR replacement on the last service. My post is a few down from this one. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=236158

However since its been done the engine maintanance warning notification comes on in the sencus display panel, which im sure is related to another EGR problem. The car is booked in for some other work (upgrades i have ordered) so i will get them to check the EGR then and will post the outcome on these forums.

Car was fine for a few weeks after the EGR replacemnt and tbh I cant tell there is a problem other than the warnining notification im now gettting. No limp mode has showed up.

Brodick Oct 2nd, 2015 16:56

Just over 6 months in. Just over 5500miles and no issues
Long may it continue.

volvo for ever Oct 24th, 2015 05:26

if youve had egr and cooler renewed no doubt you will be back in for same job s this isnt a cure not yet ,temp fix only ,,the new cooler being fitted are blocking up aswell....this is happening on all models

Clan Oct 24th, 2015 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo for ever (Post 1999411)
if youve had egr and cooler renewed no doubt you will be back in for same job s this isnt a cure not yet ,temp fix only ,,the new cooler being fitted are blocking up aswell....this is happening on all models

It's not a hardware problem , there are cars out there which have been fine .. Renault use a very similar U shaped cooler . It is vital the software is kept up to date , it seems to be updated at least once a month at the moment ! The EGR is being used about 70% more of the time than the euro 5 models to comply with euro 6 . There is a flap which can by pass the cooler so maybe they are trying to use this function more . The EGR valve has been improved which has helped a lot .

chiptivo Oct 25th, 2015 14:31

They should go back to reliable ford blocks rather than these Chinese owned units.

Clan Oct 25th, 2015 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiptivo (Post 2000116)
They should go back to reliable ford blocks rather than these Chinese owned units.

The block looks very similar to the volvo ones used in the S/V40 petrol engines . This is nothing to do with china :-) In my opinion FORD ruined the D5 block in 2008 when they modified it to make it in the Bridgend Factoy !

ACSU Oct 28th, 2015 14:47

D4 EGR Valve

My V40 was new Sept 14 on a 64 plate, problem came after 6-7000 miles, warning light then limp mode. EGR/Cooler/Software all replaced. EGR & Cooler replaced a further two times to the point I was driving around with a Data recorder that filled the back seat. Problem got so bad that Volvo purchased the car back in April 2015. Interesting point is that we have another one at work on a 15 plate that has gone to 10'000 miles before the problem has shown, so it isn't fixed as yet !!!

techwatcher Nov 25th, 2015 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1999462)
It's not a hardware problem , there are cars out there which have been fine ..

I don't think we can say what the problem is with any certainty. My 'Check Engine' light came on last Thursday and the EGR valve was replaced yesterday. Speaking with the dealer they indicated that they have had many D4s with the problem - they were replacing 5 EGR valves yesterday alone.

They also said they have Volvo data loggers installed in a number of cars which have required multiple EGR valve replacements, and that Volvo do not currently have a permanent fix.