Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 T8 - MY21 or MY22? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316767)

Saftlad May 11th, 2021 22:32

XC60 T8 - MY21 or MY22?

We're close to pulling the trigger but I'm in a bit of a quandary.

Very tempted by a MY21 R-Design Pro with options that I want (and a couple I didn't consider), it has been pre-registered so I wouldn't be the first owner but that doesn't bother me. It would mean a bit of a journey to view the car and then again for pickup. I'd also be looking to try to get a good deal on a set of 20" wheels to replace the 22" that are on it now. Obviously, it would be available immediately.

Alternatively, my local dealer has done me a great quote on an Inscription Pro with the specific extras I'm after but would mean placing a factory order that wouldn't arrive until September or October.

The costs between the 2 are almost identical, so financially it's the toss of a coin.

What is the general consensus over the differences in the 2 model years? Am I better taking the MY21 with the fuel heater over the electric heater for example, or are the changes for 22 worth waiting for?

WhatNext? May 11th, 2021 22:38

MY21 will have the discontinued sensus

MY21 will have Android Automotive

For me, purely for that reason I will choose MY22

NB It will also be the facelifted version (very minor changes though)

NB 2 Advantage of Android Automotive is way superior mapping (Google Maps) and voice recognition

Saftlad May 12th, 2021 13:51

Hmmm yes I can see Android Automotive being great in a few years time, once they iron it out, and certainly the maps would be as current as possible so should be great. Not sure that this would be a deal-breaker for either case for me though. Is Sensus Connect that bad?

The options I want are Driver Assist (for ACC) and Lounge (for HK - I can't justify B&W) and 360 camera. Should I be considering anything else as a "should have"?

EssexExile May 12th, 2021 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saftlad (Post 2736402)
Hmmm yes I can see Android Automotive being great in a few years time, once they iron it out, and certainly the maps would be as current as possible so should be great.

But can't the Android Auto be updated whereas the current Sensus is going no further?

Saftlad May 12th, 2021 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexExile (Post 2736437)
But can't the Android Auto be updated whereas the current Sensus is going no further?

There's a difference between Android Auto and Android Automotive (great naming structure there Google :confused_smile:), yes Automotive will get regular updates throughout it's life.

Let's face it, most car manufacturer's don't update the systems all that much, yet your phone probably has 3 or 4 updates a year. I'd see AAOS being much more like a phone for update regularity.

Anyway, back on topic. The general consensus seems to be to order a MY22 and wait 3-4 months for delivery by the looks of it.

Ta

St Evelyn May 12th, 2021 22:44

Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but last I heard Android Automotive didn't support Apple CarPlay, although (unsurprisingly) it does support Android Auto.

I use CarPlay a lot so this would likely be a deal breaker for me if I were in the market for a new car. Appreciate the point about it getting regular updates but the Polestar 2 has been out for around a year now, so it's clearly not top of the development backlog. Mind you, a cynical person might suggest that's intentional as they want to use this as a tool to encourage migration from iOS to Android.. ;)

Saftlad May 12th, 2021 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by St Evelyn (Post 2736574)
Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but last I heard Android Automotive didn't support Apple CarPlay, although (unsurprisingly) it does support Android Auto.

I use CarPlay a lot so this would likely be a deal breaker for me if I were in the market for a new car. Appreciate the point about it getting regular updates but the Polestar 2 has been out for around a year now, so it's clearly not top of the development backlog. Mind you, a cynical person might suggest that's intentional as they want to use this as a tool to encourage migration from iOS to Android.. ;)

I'm an Android user, so not an issue, however given the number of car manufacturers jumping onto AAOS, I can't believe that they would not incorporate some form of CarPlay or connectivity, it would alienate too many users.

Though having said that, I'm not sure that AAOS is designed as a means of connecting to a phone, but rather a complete system that replaces the need for the phone other than to take/make calls which could be handled over BLE. AAOS is there to control and manage the whole infotainment system so Google would want you to use their systems for as much as possible to increase integration and pull you further into their ecosystem.

SuffolkBoy May 13th, 2021 09:02

I have checked the MY2022 Edition 2 and the XC60 comes with Wireless Smartphone Integration which includes Apple Car Play and Android Auto.
This is now included in the list price....at last!!
The V90 also has this as standard, but not the XC90 or XC40 as these are still running on the Sensus system.

soupytwister May 13th, 2021 14:06

Take a look at the other thread on the My22 cancelled order. If you've ordered BLIS or 360, you may want to ask when the MY22 will be delivered in light of the chip shortages....

Saftlad May 13th, 2021 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupytwister (Post 2736730)
Take a look at the other thread on the My22 cancelled order. If you've ordered BLIS or 360, you may want to ask when the MY22 will be delivered in light of the chip shortages....

Not good news. You must be gutted :traurig001: