Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 - Steering noise (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321376)

FunkyMelon Nov 10th, 2021 20:21

S40 - Steering noise

Hi all,

Another day another problem.

This noise started about 2 weeks ago and only happens when I turn the wheel left, steering right is fine with no sounds other than the usual slight wurr of the power steering pump.

https://youtu.be/KPLq4zOFjiI

Any ideas? Power steering fluid level looks OK - Perhaps a smidge below the minimum but nowhere near enough I would have thought to make the sort of noise I'm getting. Driving and steering itself seems fine, apart from the noise :confused_smile:

TIA

andy_d Nov 10th, 2021 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyMelon (Post 2784169)
Hi all,

Another day another problem.

This noise started about 2 weeks ago and only happens when I turn the wheel left, steering right is fine with no sounds other than the usual slight wurr of the power steering pump.

https://youtu.be/KPLq4zOFjiI

Any ideas? Power steering fluid level looks OK - Perhaps a smidge below the minimum but nowhere near enough I would have thought to make the sort of noise I'm getting. Driving and steering itself seems fine, apart from the noise :confused_smile:

TIA

start by topping the fluid up, "min" is ,, the min it needs to work,, aim for "just below max" rather than below min,,
turn lock to lock a few times after topping up Then recheck fluid level , again aiming for just below max ,,,

FunkyMelon Nov 10th, 2021 22:38

Thanks, have ordered some Volvo fluid to see if it makes a difference, I'm not hopeful as I'd image the noise would happen steering both left and right if it was the fluid.

Guess we'll find out!

andy_d Nov 11th, 2021 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyMelon (Post 2784193)
Thanks, have ordered some Volvo fluid to see if it makes a difference, I'm not hopeful as I'd image the noise would happen steering both left and right if it was the fluid.

Guess we'll find out!

cheapest + easiest option First
Plus "below min" Will cause issues with the pump and rack that Will end up costing "HOW MUCH!!!!" comments when you get the Quote for Just the parts.

next would be Top mounts for the front shocks, (not an expensive part but OH so much fun taking the strut out to change the top mount,, and Spring compressor fun, along with bolts + nuts that havent been touched since the car was built and live in All the muck throw up by the tyres goodness )

FunkyMelon Nov 11th, 2021 19:22

Hmm, I think this maybe suspension/top mount related.

I got out from the car and when I reached in to grab my bag I heard a small squeak just like the noise when steering left. I bounced the drivers wing up and down and it squeaked each time. Could this be top mounts? I wonder if it's just the stress of the wheel turning that bends the chassis slightly causing this noise.

eric19371 Nov 12th, 2021 07:53

I would check suspension mount and wheel bearings first. I had a similar issue on our S40 and it turned out it was the middle bearing so get that checked when you have exhausted other options.

FunkyMelon Jan 18th, 2022 22:11

For those interested, the car was found to be leaking power steering fluid while at Volvo to investigate this noise - It's now getting a new steering rack and pump :(

I expect that this was the cause of the problem. Will update again when I get the car back.

andy_d Jan 20th, 2022 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyMelon (Post 2800894)
For those interested, the car was found to be leaking power steering fluid while at Volvo to investigate this noise - It's now getting a new steering rack and pump :(

I expect that this was the cause of the problem. Will update again when I get the car back.

ouch,, i feel for your wallet good luck

FunkyMelon Jan 20th, 2022 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 2801237)
ouch,, i feel for your wallet good luck

Yep. Was quoted £675 for the rack, ~£600 for the pump which may or may not be damaged + ~£250 fitting.

Ended up putting a decent after market rack in for significantly less which Volvo said looked good.

Got the following all done at Volvo

- Serviced, plugs, oil etc
- CBV on the turbo inlet replaced
- TMAP sensor on the intercooler replaced
- New coolant
- New brake fluid
- Few bulbs
- New steering rack
- New tie rod ends

Just under a grand all in.

Apparently the vibrations are now gone (see my other thread) and the steering whine is now sorted. 2 birds one stone really.

I'd spent >£1000 at "5 star" garages around here trying to get rid of those steering vibrations, including my local Volvo and they have all been absolutely ******* useless. Replaced wheels, hubs, driveshafts, bushes all at great cost when they were all probably fine :angry_smile:

Yet to pick up the car but fingers crossed that's everything sorted on it now.