Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rear entertainment and aux port (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319715)

Jimmy90 Sep 3rd, 2021 09:14

Rear entertainment and aux port

Morning.

Ahead of a 5hour drive next week I've been wrecking my brain how to be able to use the aux port for music whilst the kids watch films. Currently they use plug in headphones but if they use infra red do you still have to have the rocker switch set to the rear entertainment or is this my solution to not having to spend 5hours searching for radio stations due to poor reception?

I do have a usb port but android phone and no music anyway to put on a flash drive as I solely stream music.

SwissXC90 Sep 3rd, 2021 10:31

The DVD screens each transmit IR signals to the IR headphones

So the IR headphones are completely independent of the main stereo audio

Set your kids up with IR headphones
And set the AUX switch to the AUX port, connect your personal music source to AUX

And then you have radio/nav/phone/aux as you wish, and the kids listen to the DVD as they wish.

Jimmy90 Sep 3rd, 2021 20:50

Fantastic! Thank you.

Ciaran Sep 13th, 2021 12:13

Hi

Do you know what type of universal headphones you can buy as my volvo ones are broken.

Thanks

SwissXC90 Sep 13th, 2021 16:26

Ciaran, Tells us where you are in the world, what model year Volvo you have and what type of rear seat entertainment (RSE) system you have.

The RSEs vary by year and by market.

TruckbusUK Sep 13th, 2021 16:55

Re headphones, in the UK both IR and RF systems were used.

If you have the Volvo "factory" system, single DVD player in the centre front arm rest then you have IR headphones.

Alt if you have a DVD multichanger under the floor in the rear, then its the Volvo UK system and it uses RF headphones.

Obviously the systems IR & RF are incompatible, so take care choosing bits and get the correct ones, a search on the forums will get you all the info you need.

Hope it helps.:regular_smile:

Ciaran Sep 14th, 2021 08:23

Thanks for replying.

I'm in the UK - it's the single dvd player in the centre armrest - car is a 2012 R Design. Must be the IR ones I'm guessing.

I've had a google and I'm stumped as some of the IR ones I've seen don't apparently work with our car.

TruckbusUK Sep 14th, 2021 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 2770316)
Thanks for replying.

I'm in the UK - it's the single dvd player in the centre armrest - car is a 2012 R Design. Must be the IR ones I'm guessing.

I've had a google and I'm stumped as some of the IR ones I've seen don't apparently work with our car.

Genuine Volvo headsets turnup on e-Bay all the time, and even on the forums .... worth a look unless your in desperate need as the genuine ones used to be eye watering from the dealers, worth checking the current pricing though.

Ciaran Sep 14th, 2021 12:41

I was quoted £190 for 2 which seems a tad excessive. I'd read that you could buy generic panasonic ones but I can't find them available anywhere.

TruckbusUK Sep 14th, 2021 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 2770380)
I was quoted £190 for 2 which seems a tad excessive. I'd read that you could buy generic panasonic ones but I can't find them available anywhere.

Told you ... eyewatering ... re the Panasonic ones, I read about those back in 2009 we we bought or XC90 ... never found them as the model seemed to have changed/been discontinued and the frequency stamped on the battery door didn't match the pair we had so I never went any further and ended up buying them from Volvo .. sure they were £115 each back then. The 2nd pair resold well just before we we moved the XC90 on, but still eyewatering IMO.