Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   ABS/DTSC/City safety service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266682)

volturb40 Apr 18th, 2017 18:34

ABS/DTSC/City safety service required

Hello my XC60 has warmed my heart and decided to illuminate my dash with a couple of yellow lights.

I have done a resistance test on the ABS sensors three were fine but found front drivers side was reading zero and replaced it, took it for a run the garage has cleared codes but the lights still remain on.

It was plugged in to a code reader(not a volvo one) and the amount of faults listed was incredible for just about everything the car has, if they were all true the car wouldn't even run, thought it was maybe the battery so replaced that as well.

Car runs perfect without this has anyone got any ideas please??

uro1 Apr 19th, 2017 11:11

Perhaps go to a Volvo Dealer with the right equipment to read out the faults?

volturb40 Jun 12th, 2017 20:04

Just for your info if anyone else gets these warnings on the dash, it was the front drivers side ABS sensor that was broken, that took out out City safety, Cruise control, ABS and DTSC.

I wouldn't recommend putting in spurious replacements either as the garage ordered one and was supplied with what they thought was correct and it was for the passenger side only(black).

It's a special one for the drivers side with the City safety system(grey). I ordered a Volvo one, fitted it, the warnings disappeared happy chappy :)

IB18 May 8th, 2018 15:18

Can you please list the part number for the GREY Sensor? I seem to be having the same issue that you have described.
Thanks

burley hurley Aug 28th, 2018 16:41

We replaced speed sensor after our XC60 showed a fault and our diagnostic tool told us what it was, cleared the fault and now we have "city safety service required" which we cannot clear, the part was a genuine Volvo part. They tell us the car needs re calibrating at a cost of £144. This is a licence to print money by Volvo. I will just keep pressing the stalk each time. My hubby is a mechanic and has always fixed cars but these diagnostic tools don't get rid of rogue messages. The car is running fine.

globula Aug 28th, 2018 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by burley hurley (Post 2442206)
We replaced speed sensor after our XC60 showed a fault and our diagnostic tool told us what it was, cleared the fault and now we have "city safety service required" which we cannot clear, the part was a genuine Volvo part. They tell us the car needs re calibrating at a cost of £144. This is a licence to print money by Volvo. I will just keep pressing the stalk each time. My hubby is a mechanic and has always fixed cars but these diagnostic tools don't get rid of rogue messages. The car is running fine.

I had the city safety error when I had water ingress in my v60, water was coming out from the light dome.I disconnected the light dome and cleaned the contacts and any water that was still there and I forgot to connect the connector and straight away it triggered the city safety error. Might be worth to have a look to see if your dome lights still work, maybe you have a fuse blown or the connector is actually disconnected. If no power is getting to the light dome, the camera/sensors for city safety will not work.

burley hurley Aug 29th, 2018 16:22

Hi Globula and thank you, I will pass this possibility on to hubby and will let you know if this was the issue.

volturb40 Aug 30th, 2018 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by IB18 (Post 2401407)
Can you please list the part number for the GREY Sensor? I seem to be having the same issue that you have described.
Thanks

Sorry haven't been on this page as i've changed car, i would imagine you've fixed it by now, part number unknown but i got in contact with the parts department here, they are very knowledgeable, and they supplied what i wanted after i informed them it has city safety. http://www.parts4volvos.co.uk/

ubucky Sep 23rd, 2020 13:07

abs etc

Hi Guys,
just to include here that after reading here and my local garage diagnosed front right side (grey) abs sensor fault as i had the amber warnings up,
Replaced genuine Volvo this morning and all lights gone out after short drive, I still however have the city warning service but only as a message coming up any Ideas ?
The sensor took out my stop start also but thats working again, i replaced battery first just incase because it was low.
Thanks

PARKY BOY Sep 23rd, 2020 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubucky (Post 2667216)
Hi Guys,
just to include here that after reading here and my local garage diagnosed front right side (grey) abs sensor fault as i had the amber warnings up,
Replaced genuine Volvo this morning and all lights gone out after short drive, I still however have the city warning service but only as a message coming up any Ideas ?
The sensor took out my stop start also but thats working again, i replaced battery first just incase because it was low.
Thanks

Hi I had the exact same problem as you during the first lockdown, google search pointed me in the direction of the front offside ABS sensor. put a meter on it and yes open circuit, order a replacement one, had it fitted by a local garage and all light cleared bar City safety, 2 months later I had my annual service/MOT at a small Volvo indi I have used for years, they cleared the City safety message no problem. I also had new batteries fitted as they were now 8 years old and was getting low battery charge message constantly, they had to log into Volvo to reset the BMS?, you apparently need to let the car know you've fitted a new battery?