Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   140 bumper (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130110)

arcturus Jul 23rd, 2011 18:26

140 bumper

2 Attachment(s)
My bumpers were looking the worse for wear so first of all I rubbed off the old anodising down to clean unscratched allu' using different grades of paper.Then I pollished. you can see the difference in the before and after photo.

dooghoog Jul 23rd, 2011 19:01

Polishing

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 952400)
My bumpers were looking the worse for wear so first of all I rubbed off the old anodising down to clean unscratched allu' using different grades of paper.Then I pollished. you can see the difference in the before and after photo.

They look amazing!

Audrey Old Jul 23rd, 2011 22:51

140 bumpers

In the UK (at least) the problem that I've heard is the creeping corrosion line that appears along where the rubber moulding meets the metal. On a spare I removed the rubber by undoing the bolts along the back, and was horrified how deep that corrosion had eaten into the bumper. Far too deep to merely polish out - has anybody any ideas if such corrosion can be eliminated or at least be prevented from getting worse. Apparently the metal can be re-anodised but doubt they could polish out severe pocketed corrosion.

Paul

arcturus Jul 24th, 2011 09:12

The only solution that I know of is to fill and then paint a thin black border as I have done. Doesn't look too bad. better than it was. Pity that there are no replacements available! BTW can any body tell me if the window trims are all'y or stainless.

franciscosousa Jul 31st, 2011 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 952692)
The only solution that I know of is to fill and then paint a thin black border as I have done. Doesn't look too bad. better than it was. Pity that there are no replacements available! BTW can any body tell me if the window trims are all'y or stainless.

good job. like you do this work in aluminum?
polis some special?

arcturus Aug 1st, 2011 08:46

Thanks. It takes a lot of work!

john h Aug 1st, 2011 21:14

It looks excellent. The only downside is that you might find the bare aluminium surface goes dull quickly and may need frequent repolishing.

John

arcturus Aug 2nd, 2011 08:58

I can live with that!

john h Aug 5th, 2011 18:10

Yep!

I'm going to try a variation of your plan, using metal polish and/or cutting compound with a machine polisher. It won't get as shiny as yours, but I'll see whether I can get a decent shine but still with the anodised coating in place.

John

arcturus Aug 6th, 2011 13:42

Be very carefull that you don't break through the anodising by being over enthusiastic. Practice on an old bumper first if you have one..