Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Performance Volvo Cars (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   v70 2.4 D5 performance upgrades? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309203)

VolvoEnthusiastV70 Aug 23rd, 2020 01:11

v70 2.4 D5 performance upgrades?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

For the last two years I've been driving an S40 2.4i and have recently upgraded to a 57 plate v70 with the titular 2.4 d5 engine in it.

I've already eyed up some Eibach lowering springs and a front strut brace. I would eventually like to have the car remapped. The crux of my question is: does a stage 2 remap require a better clutch or better turbo? I apologise in advance for my naivety but this is the first time I've had a car that is worth remapping.

I'm also looking at better discs and pads which I'll upgrade regardless of stage one or stage two remap.

If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me.

Simmy Aug 25th, 2020 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by VolvoEnthusiastV70 (Post 2658578)
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

For the last two years I've been driving an S40 2.4i and have recently upgraded to a 57 plate v70 with the titular 2.4 d5 engine in it.

I've already eyed up some Eibach lowering springs and a front strut brace. I would eventually like to have the car remapped. The crux of my question is: does a stage 2 remap require a better clutch or better turbo? I apologise in advance for my naivety but this is the first time I've had a car that is worth remapping.

I'm also looking at better discs and pads which I'll upgrade regardless of stage one or stage two remap.

If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me.

remaps can soon find any weakness on your car. clutch intercooler turbo ect it can get expensive real quick. as for lowering v70 has only abt 9in ground clearance to start with my v70 catches on some of the anti speed bumps near me consider this before lowering . do you have many speed humps near by:regular_smile:

Stan63 Aug 25th, 2020 20:45

Ditto

Hi, interested to see what responses you get as I am in the same position as yourself, I bought a V70 D5 in March and would like to make some upgrades.

I was looking at the Polestar re-map but missed out on the recent (temp) price drop so now I can't bring myself to pay the full price.

Currently I am looking into anti-roll bars, it was fairly easy to conclude that IPD and Elevate are the most recommended, sourcing either appears to be a bit more difficult.

After anti-roll bars I’ll consider if a strut brace is necessary.

Brakes, I’ll leave alone until after / if I get a remap. Though I know when new pads are required, I'll be looking at what proven improvements are available.

dingov70 Sep 20th, 2020 17:29

Afternoon , my P1 v70 Tdi was fitted with lowered & stiffer Eibach springs , matched dampers & 17" 40 profile tyres and rode around town like a pig ! . Brilliant at speed & flinging it through corners like my bottom & hair were on fire , but woeful around town . Think long & hard before forking over your cash Do you really need a harder ride or would shorter standard rate springs suffice ??????

SD40 Jan 26th, 2021 20:47

Harsher ride

I realise we are a few months on from the last post but I thought I would add my own experience.
I have a 2008 V50 D5, it’s Celtic remapped, lowered on Vogtland springs and im using Bilstein B6 dampers. Several other mods, but not relevant to this post.

The ride is for my liking a little soft if anything , speed bumps in the Aberdeen area are all fine, I have lowered the front bumper edge and splitter an additional 60mm and it still clears the bumps.
I would add that I think that my suspension is firm but comfortable, it does not crash over bumps and potholes.
I have lowered and uprated every one of my many previous cars, so would like to think that I have experience in this.

My impreza runs BC coil overs set at about 75% all round, that is a hard ride, but drives like its on rails 😬😁😁😁

V8XCV Mar 25th, 2021 20:46

How do you find the Celtic remap? I'm looking for a remap for my D5 but there are hardly any options out there these days,

RICA seem to have disappeared, MTE via Kalmar Union disappeared

The only ones I can find are D5T5 VDASH tuning or maybe BSR, I'm not counting Polestar as not worth the cost.

davebb Mar 25th, 2021 22:39

Hi Have you contacted superchips ,
Dave

cav Mar 30th, 2021 04:01

Remap

Any more info on Kalmar Union?
Been researching getting my D5 AWD mapped by either DC Remapping which are local to me or from research here, Kalmar Union which I believe have recently closed down.
Any one got any other suggestions?

Mkengineering Mar 30th, 2021 04:08

Look up contrast tunning

That's all I'll say! Gustav is a legend when it comes to the P2 platform!

davebb Apr 10th, 2021 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkengineering (Post 2723689)
Look up contrast tunning

That's all I'll say! Gustav is a legend when it comes to the P2 platform!

https://urbastuning.wordpress.com/contact/

Dave