Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Washer stalk - not working properly - ideas? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321455)

MiniNinjaRob Nov 14th, 2021 09:52

Washer stalk - not working properly - ideas?

Hi all. The function to wash the windscreen in my car isn’t working very well. I have to pull on the stalk quite hard and it’s still hit and miss. I’ve had a good Google and can’t find anything specific to this issue.
Do I need to replace the whole mechanism or can it be fixed?

Laird Scooby Nov 14th, 2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob (Post 2785071)
Hi all. The function to wash the windscreen in my car isn’t working very well. I have to pull on the stalk quite hard and it’s still hit and miss. I’ve had a good Google and can’t find anything specific to this issue.
Do I need to replace the whole mechanism or can it be fixed?

When you pull the stalk, do you get wiper action as soon as you pull it? If so the main suspect is the pump, if not and you get neither wiper action or pump, suspect the switch. If you get pump but no wiper action, suspect the intermittent wipe relay.

MiniNinjaRob Nov 14th, 2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2785082)
When you pull the stalk, do you get wiper action as soon as you pull it? If so the main suspect is the pump, if not and you get neither wiper action or pump, suspect the switch. If you get pump but no wiper action, suspect the intermittent wipe relay.

When are pull the stalk nothing happens unless I pull it really hard - too hard for my liking but the wipers and washers come on ok when it finally “connects”.
I was assuming that there is some sort of contact in there which might be work out??

Laird Scooby Nov 14th, 2021 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob (Post 2785201)
When are pull the stalk nothing happens unless I pull it really hard - too hard for my liking but the wipers and washers come on ok when it finally “connects”.
I was assuming that there is some sort of contact in there which might be work out??

You've got it - worn contacts which means a worn switch. Easiest is to fit a secondhand one. :thumbs_up:

NI_Volvo_Nut Nov 15th, 2021 14:41

I have a couple of switches for estates, don't think I have a saloon one.

MiniNinjaRob Nov 16th, 2021 21:01

How hard are they to fit? Seen instructions which suggest airbag and wheel need removing and some that say you can do it without removing them.

Laird Scooby Nov 16th, 2021 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob (Post 2785791)
How hard are they to fit? Seen instructions which suggest airbag and wheel need removing and some that say you can do it without removing them.

You can do it without removing them if you can remove the cowling from round the column without touching the wheel or IED.

Then it's two screws and a plug or two on the switch to remove, Haynes it to refit.

MiniNinjaRob Nov 18th, 2021 22:56

Ordered a new one off eBay (2nd hand) so will have a go at putting it on!

MiniNinjaRob Nov 23rd, 2021 07:45

Update - new washer wiper stalk sourced from eBay for £8 posted - I didn’t even think a saloon one would be different from an estate (no rear wash wipe!) but thankfully I got the right one.
Was easy to remove the shroud first, then the 2 bolts holding the stalk were a bit tricky but I have a low profile ratchet set I used for cycle maintenance that fitted into the small gap fine - replaced and working again in 10mins.

Thanks for the help all!