Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine: D5: Engine's coming out! (first time, help appreciated) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338635)

Jayv70 Mar 7th, 2024 19:18

Engine's coming out! (first time, help appreciated)

Hi all!

I'm looking on doing an engine (D5244T) out for the first time in the cars life and mine, she's currently at 201k miles and I want to keep her going for as long as I can so I will be doing:
DMFW (she's ticking on idle)
Rear main seal
upgrading the core plug
Engine Mounts

Like I said I'm new to this but been wanting to get my hands dirty for a long time with this car BUT does anyone have any recommendations on things to look for/replace while the engine is out?

Any help would be grand as I'm guessing when I finally pull it out and put it back in I wont want to do it again haha.

Cheers guys :_:

Simmy Mar 7th, 2024 19:34

no need to take the engine out for any of those jobs but make sure to get the seal insertion tool to avoid any problems with that.. what year is your car it may already have the modified oil gallery core plug engine mounts are an easy job . leave the engine in it would be un necessary work/ time:regular_smile:

Thassos Mar 8th, 2024 19:15

gearbox? out

As simmy says, yould need to take the gearbox out (assuming its a manual car) to swap the dmf/clutch (am guessing at that mileage it might have already had a clutch change but maybe not dmf.. ) you have to drop the subframe to then remove the gearbox, while your in there replace the slave cyl which often fail at 50k plus miles, was a weak spot, i had mine go at 80k ish). Do you know any of the service history of the car?

Jayv70 Mar 10th, 2024 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2939676)
no need to take the engine out for any of those jobs but make sure to get the seal insertion tool to avoid any problems with that.. what year is your car it may already have the modified oil gallery core plug engine mounts are an easy job . leave the engine in it would be un necessary work/ time:regular_smile:

The car is 2005, I cant see any history on the car other than the MOT's and Service stamps but nothing indicates any work has been done at all! No gearbox/clutch work or engine work. Its my first time owning a garage space so i just want to tear into the car haha but i will take your advice on the no engine out! Core plug wise can i leave the engine in for that too??

Jayv70 Mar 10th, 2024 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thassos (Post 2939818)
As simmy says, yould need to take the gearbox out (assuming its a manual car) to swap the dmf/clutch (am guessing at that mileage it might have already had a clutch change but maybe not dmf.. ) you have to drop the subframe to then remove the gearbox, while your in there replace the slave cyl which often fail at 50k plus miles, was a weak spot, i had mine go at 80k ish). Do you know any of the service history of the car?

Only history i've got on the car is purely MOT and Service Stamps, no gearbox/engine paperwork was given and last owner said it needed nothing during the time he owned it! I've grown very weirdly attached to this piece of metal and with everyone saying to me "get rid of it its at 200k miles" makes me want to keep it even more haha

It is a 5 speed manual! BUT i will have to naively assume that its still the original clutch & slave cly but it's never missed a beat 15k miles since i've owned it. I will hold off on taking the engine out and just research into more on lowering the subframe and going that way! DMF's arn't the cheapest thing :sad-smiley-047: but needs be.

Thassos Mar 11th, 2024 18:24

dmfW?

Mines on the original DMF @ 150K miles, so is possible yours may also be.. what got you to thinking the DMF was failing? perhaps the ticking @ idle? does the clutch slip at all? if you want to pm me an email, i have some instruction info on removing the gearbox if useful.. Are you getting oil leaking out of the join between gbox/engine onto the undertray? (where a small cutout is)