Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   new xc90 first impression (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251571)

nu11eaf Jun 12th, 2016 22:12

new xc90 first impression

Picked up my new xc90 the other day, and my first impression is its a good car but you cannot in any way class it as a luxury car for one reason, ROAD NOISE, the tyre noise on anything but a smooth tarmac road is just atrocious, a luxury car should waft you along in near silence, this is so loud you need to turn the radio up to try to drown some of it out, it spoils the whole car, engine is nice and smooth, quiet and responsive, the car looks really nice, but boy the road noise is deafening, it is really quiet on smooth tarmac but on other normal roads have ear plugs at hand.
The satnav is not the best, for some reason it will not let me put my house number in and directs me on a detour round near by roads to the wrong end of my road, even trying voice control to direct me to home address did not let me use house number, its crap, better off with a cheap tomtom. £59 THOUSAND POUNDS, What a con. Luxury car my arse.
if you go on a test run do not stick to the volvo reps route take it off the smooth tarmac and on other roads, they have a route to show the car off on the best roads so it sounds quiet.
Dissapointed with it, you bet I am.
One last gripe, when we picked the car up we were given a voucher for a meal for two at a posh hotel, miles from anywhere so you have to drive there so cant have a drink with your meal, waste of time, will not be used, a nice bunch of flowers for the Mrs would have been a nicer gift.

Mezza Jun 12th, 2016 22:18

Blimey, you are seriously unhappy. What are you going to do? I have heard comments on road noise but it is obviously upsetting you. Is your car a MY17? Which wheels and tyres do you have?

nu11eaf Jun 12th, 2016 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mezza (Post 2123750)
Blimey, you are seriously unhappy. What are you going to do? I have heard comments on road noise but it is obviously upsetting you. Is your car a MY17? Which wheels and tyres do you have?

It is the Inscription with the standard 20" wheels, not a lot you can do apart from put reviews on here and other sites to make Volvo sit up and tackle this issue, dont get me wrong it is a nice car but should not be classed as a luxury car. Hate to thnk how noisy the 21 and 22" wheels are. It is the 2017 MY CAR.

Mezza Jun 12th, 2016 22:38

Thanks, I have an R-Design ordered with 22s!! I was kinda hoping the road noise would have been sorted in the MY17. I am now worried. Anyone else got any thoughts or comparisons. This is not an issue that has come up much in reviews (or has it)

neon Jun 12th, 2016 22:43

Really disappointed if my MY17 Inscription arrives and they have done nothing about the noise and tyres.

Mezza Jun 12th, 2016 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2123764)
Really disappointed if my MY17 Inscription arrives and they have done nothing about the noise and tyres.

According to this post you will be disappointed

nu11eaf Jun 12th, 2016 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mezza (Post 2123759)
Thanks, I have an R-Design ordered with 22s!! I was kinda hoping the road noise would have been sorted in the MY17. I am now worried. Anyone else got any thoughts or comparisons. This is not an issue that has come up much in reviews (or has it)

The tyre profile is too low and too wide, they should have gone for comfort on the inscription model with wheels and tyres the same size as mark 1 xc90

neon Jun 12th, 2016 22:57

I am wondering if I should try to get another Inscription to test drive as I did not really notice any excessive road noise when I had one for a day.

basoom Jun 12th, 2016 23:57

Is then the road noise more noticeable in the inscription trim than the R design ( both with 20')???

LegGodt Jun 13th, 2016 05:40

I have the Momentum 19 inch and air. I find it a dream to drive - both noise wise and gliding. Can't believe the 20 inch makes that much difference. I was coming out of a 2013 BMW 528.

Once you get into a negative mind set you are going to find fault. That's with anything. Period.