Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Is an oil cooler required? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57987)

yachtingfreak Sep 7th, 2008 22:42

Is an oil cooler required?

Hi, I am about to change cars from a citroen c5 estate to a V70 auto estate as my better half has a bad back and finds this car easier to drive. The dealer says that I do not need an oil cooler as there is one fitted. However, one website says you can't fit one and dont need one, and another says that one is essential. I will be towing a Fendt caravan (1500kg) and a horse box (but not at the same time) Can anyone advise if I need a gearbox oil cooler and if so where to get one. Also can you get a gearbox oil temperature guage??
Thanks
Andy

cumbrianmale Sep 7th, 2008 23:25

Some V70's have cooling fins on the sump. Early V70's had a oil cooler which fitted below the radiator, which I think can fit some later V70's

Ask Rufe he is a main dealer parts man.

Rufe Sep 8th, 2008 10:13

hi,

the first question i need to ask is what year is the V70?

if its whats generally known as the P1 model (classic shape, 1997 > 2000) then there are two types, but both of these can only be fitted to vehicles with non turbo engines. Volvo recommend fitting them if possible. If it is a 4 speed automatic, then models up to 1998 have part number 9492870. For models 1999> they have part number 9499131 (I can tell you model year of the vehicle if you are unsure, by sending me the reg or the chassis number). If it is a 5 speed auto the part number is 9499131 regardless of the year. (i have seen people talk about the fact that these CAN be fitted to vehicles they are not intended for, ie vehicles with turbo's, but I do not have any information about doing this, but if you search this forum you should get results.)

If the car is what is known as a P2 model, ie, between 2000 and 2007, then volvo do not list a seperate oil cooler for this model.

Finally, Volvo do not supply gearbox temperature gauges, but i would imagine you could find them out in the aftermarket though I have never seen one, but have never looked.

If you need a price for one of the baove part numbers let me know.

yachtingfreak Sep 9th, 2008 22:46

Thanks for the replys. I have spoken to the dealer about an 07 v70. Tey assure me that one is not required and Kenlowe have replied to me saying there are no oil coolers available for this model as it is a high pressure box with a blt in oil cooler. I guess the fact that there arn't loads of posts complaining of gearbox failures means that they are pretty robust(unlike a renault that I very nearly bought 2 years ago. thank god for what car internet reviews)
Thanks again
Andy

dodgyken Sep 17th, 2008 08:34

I have a 2008 V70 D5 automatic - with HEICO remap.

It tows without problem the 1800kg that is my race car and trailer. Volvo confirmed (both UK and Swiss dealers) that no extra cooler was required - or was available.

I specifically told them what I was towing - and said I was worried about it, despite being lower than the maximum allowed.

It is a stonkingly good towcar.

Paddler Ed Sep 17th, 2008 14:40

My dad tows a single axle Fendt that he's had plated at 1700kg iirc, without any additional coolers for the gearboxes. He's used an XC90 for about the last 5 yrs or so, and prior to that an XC70. All of those have been geartronics and have had no problems. He's about to go into a new V70 D5 AWD as he doesn't want an XC90 now.