Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59430)

jon-b Feb 14th, 2009 20:46

thanks for info,mine looks like its on its last legs,will change tommorow

V40 Owner Feb 22nd, 2009 20:06

While trying to diagnose my bizarre horn/fogs problem, I had a look at the clip. Mine's very rusty-looking. Guess this is a job I shall be doing next weekend :)

So ... if one carefully takes off the old clip and winds the new one back until it opens up, this can be replaced without a coolant change, yes? Would you advise I did a coolant change anyway ...?

Clan Feb 22nd, 2009 20:12

yes you can do it that way , the new clip you get from the volvo dealer is stainless steel . Dont use a jubilee clip as it is wider and may dig into the old hose ina different place . The volvo narrow clips grip better . If your coolant is a solid green or blue colour no need to change it ...

alexx Mar 4th, 2009 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 412102)
In the last 6 weeks i have seen 2 engines wrecked by the lower radiator hose leaking coolant .

Hey mate I've only just seen this - does it apply to my 2001 1.8i ovlov its the mitsubishi engine :) thank you

Clan Mar 4th, 2009 21:22

possibly , although this engine is quite rare so seeing a few in a short time isnt going to happen , best just to look down at yours and see how rusty it is , if at all ... The new one you buy from Volvo is stainless steel so will cure the problem ..

Blue 8 Mar 4th, 2009 21:33

Clan the hose clips on my 850 are all rusty as in really in a bad way, im going to get a set from my local Volvo dealer , is there anything i need to ask for what i mean is will the new ones i buy be a better quality or do i need to ask for stainless? also do all Volvo suffer for this if so might be an idea to make this issue more well known across the forum.

Big thanks for posting this mate i would never of checked mine other wise

Thankyou :thumbs_up:

Clan Mar 4th, 2009 21:41

The 850 are generaly better quality clips but even after 16 years they may be deteriorating now , yes the ones you buy now are stainless steel i believe ..
I only mentioned this S/V40 problem as the hose clips rusted through in a short time , ie 4 or 5 years .... The swedish volvos havent had this problem generaly ..

Your 850 clips may show signs of rust but are they seriously weakened or rusted 80% through ?

Blue 8 Mar 4th, 2009 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 472220)

Your 850 clips may show signs of rust but are they seriously weakened or rusted 80% through ?

That i don't know, but im going to change them now for peace of mind :thumbs_up:

alexx Mar 4th, 2009 21:51

Thanks mate you seem to know your volvos :D
How rare is my engine? I dont really know much about it :)

caris Mar 16th, 2009 18:25

newbies need part number please

Hi

We are newbies on the forum and first time owner of a 1999 V40 Volvo estate.

We were browsing the forum and came across this warning, I informed my husband of this and he checked our hose clip and its badly corroded.

Could anyone please advise us what the correct part number we would need, to purchase a replacement for the corroded clip?

Many thanks
caris