Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Door paint repair (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335758)

Photonaf Oct 11th, 2023 17:54

Door paint repair

Hi

The door of my xc-60 got scratched. Wonder if anyone can advise roughly on how much it can be to repaint it. Does not seem to me any damage to metal

Any recommendation around Bath is welcomed. The car is still under 3 year Volvo.warranty

Thanks

Naf

piorunz Oct 11th, 2023 22:33

Bummer. You don't have cosmetic insurance package? I bought that when purchasing used Volvo Selekt car this year. AutoTrust Cosmetic Insurance (for scratches on the car) for £469. It runs for 3 years or 18 claims, whatever comes first, for that price. When the scratch is too deep or too long and they can't paint it, they will pay towards my costs in bodyshop. Definitely worth it.
If you didn't took it, then it's going to cost a lot. :confused_smile:

sk546 Oct 12th, 2023 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photonaf (Post 2917842)
Hi

The door of my xc-60 got scratched. Wonder if anyone can advise roughly on how much it can be to repaint it. Does not seem to me any damage to metal

Any recommendation around Bath is welcomed. The car is still under 3 year Volvo.warranty

Thanks

Naf

If the scratch isnt too bad/deep, investigate Smart Repairs rather than a full respray as it will be cheaper (approx £100ish) and take much less time.

If its a bad scratch then it will likely need the door respraying with will likely require the surrounding areas (wing and doors nearby) to also be blended for colour matching. The cost of this varies depending on where you go and how good a job is done.
I once had the bonnet on my old Cayman resprayed due to excessive stone chips at a local trusted Body shop who colour matched and blended both wings, total cost £700 but that was a few years ago and I'm sure costs have increased somewhat since then.

Philip Fisher Oct 12th, 2023 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by piorunz (Post 2917911)
Bummer. You don't have cosmetic insurance package? I bought that when purchasing used Volvo Selekt car this year. AutoTrust Cosmetic Insurance (for scratches on the car) for £469. It runs for 3 years or 18 claims, whatever comes first, for that price. When the scratch is too deep or too long and they can't paint it, they will pay towards my costs in bodyshop. Definitely worth it.
If you didn't took it, then it's going to cost a lot. :confused_smile:

I always wondered who bought these types of policies.

piorunz Oct 12th, 2023 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2917943)
I always wondered who bought these types of policies.

You'd be surprised, because it has proven to be useful (and worth the money) for me. I've already claimed 2 scratches which have been nicely repainted and have 3 more queued for November. If I had sprayed that in the bodyshop, I would have already paid more than what I paid for 3 years of insurance or 18 claims. And they already paid out £150 towards the costs for one deeper scratch (which cannot be fixed from their mobile van) on the rear bumper. At this rate, in three years, I will at least triple the value received out of this insurance product.

OldEngineer Oct 13th, 2023 20:10

Probably £300 to the salesman and the rest as an insurance.

But £469 for maybe the possibility of a scratch that might be dodged by the small print.

piorunz Oct 13th, 2023 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldEngineer (Post 2918217)
Probably £300 to the salesman and the rest as an insurance.

But £469 for maybe the possibility of a scratch that might be dodged by the small print.

Sigh.. Already got £150 back. And already got driver door sprayed, because it had small white patches of missing paint (mine xc60 is onyx black) from some scratch. Driver door that was 1 out of 18 uses.
Now, get me a bodyshop which will paint 17 smaller scratches all over the car for the remaining £319. Providing I will not get another bigger scratch which will get me another £150 back. I already have them booked again for November, to fix some more scratches. Can't complain about this insurance product, even if it sounds expensive to you, sorry.

Philip Fisher Oct 13th, 2023 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by piorunz (Post 2918234)
Sigh.. Already got £150 back. And already got driver door sprayed, because it had small white patches of missing paint (mine xc60 is onyx black) from some scratch. Driver door that was 1 out of 18 uses.
Now, get me a bodyshop which will paint 17 smaller scratches all over the car for the remaining £319. Providing I will not get another bigger scratch which will get me another £150 back. I already have them booked again for November, to fix some more scratches. Can't complain about this insurance product, even if it sounds expensive to you, sorry.

If it works for you then that is good.

Personally I tend to put products such as this in the same category as GAP insurance, tyre insurance, extended warranties on white goods and mobile phone insurance. But if you are getting more out than you put in then all is good.

One question from me is surely you need to declare all these claims to your main insurance company? For the t's and c's of my policy I think I would have to declare such claims to my main insurance company, which would then bang the premiums up.

Lancee Oct 14th, 2023 09:23

Depending on ones DIY expertise level I have found the aerosol paint and 2 pack clearcoat from OEM Volvo to be VERY good when used in the past. The colour match has been excellent.

Something which is in favour of owning an older car, car park dents and other scratches go with the territory these days and they are far easier to ignore/accept when on a less than pristine car. There doesn't seem to be much respect for other peoples, often very expensive property, out there these days.

Zombie Hunter Oct 14th, 2023 10:06

I agree older cars are good. Under a tenner for colour match to my VIN on 2009 V70 for the few bumps and scratches I want to tidy up having just bought it. Prior to that seventeen years of my non-volvo (shock horror, late convert here lol) vehicle and bumps/scratches become like war wounds. A tale behind every scar...