Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) General : D2 1.6 Engine service & oil advice sought (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237352)

Sansovino Sep 30th, 2015 17:42

D2 1.6 Engine service & oil advice sought

Greetings forum members, after years with SAABs, I'm new to Volvo and looking for advice and recommendations on how best to look after my newly acquired 2012 S40 D2 R Design, which I hope to keep for some time. So far, all I've had to do to the car is change wiper blades.

The car has covered 16,000 miles and although it has been serviced in the last 2,000 miles, the paperwork does not tell me which fully synthetic oil was used, so I'm inclined to change it. (I had a regime of 6000 mile (fully synthetic) oil & filter changes with both the petrol 4 cyl and diesel V6 3.0 SAABs and never had any problems over big mileages).

What I need to know from members is:
a)What oil should I use (I've been thinking about Motul Specific 913D 5-30)
b)How often should I change the oil (bearing in mind I cover 3-400 miles a week on mostly urban use with about 10 miles a day at 60 mph on double track).
c)I'm thinking about changing the fuel filter - how hard is this on the S40 D2?
d)Is there a specific order for bleeding the brakes (I suspect the fluid should be changed)
e)Should the coolant be changed?
f)What else would experienced D2 S40 owners suggest I should be looking at?

alfadave11 Sep 30th, 2015 17:59

A ... any fully synthetic check handbook for spec ..most are low ash there is oilman on this site so use search function
B... every 6k inc filter will do more good than harm
C...yes why not ..but personally never done one
D...furthest from master cylinder and work to nearest
E...coolant every 2 years
F...same as any other car

Clan Sep 30th, 2015 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sansovino (Post 1988177)
Greetings forum members, after years with SAABs, I'm new to Volvo and looking for advice and recommendations on how best to look after my newly acquired 2012 S40 D2 R Design, which I hope to keep for some time. So far, all I've had to do to the car is change wiper blades.

The car has covered 16,000 miles and although it has been serviced in the last 2,000 miles, the paperwork does not tell me which fully synthetic oil was used, so I'm inclined to change it. (I had a regime of 6000 mile (fully synthetic) oil & filter changes with both the petrol 4 cyl and diesel V6 3.0 SAABs and never had any problems over big mileages).

What I need to know from members is:
a)What oil should I use (I've been thinking about Motul Specific 913D 5-30)
b)How often should I change the oil (bearing in mind I cover 3-400 miles a week on mostly urban use with about 10 miles a day at 60 mph on double track).
c)I'm thinking about changing the fuel filter - how hard is this on the S40 D2?
d)Is there a specific order for bleeding the brakes (I suspect the fluid should be changed)
e)Should the coolant be changed?
f)What else would experienced D2 S40 owners suggest I should be looking at?

A : Volvo recommend castrol edge 5w/30 but you can use better 0w/30 A5/B5 which can help with fuel consumption .

B : 12500 miles or yearly , as per manufacturers specification .

C: Fairly striaight forward, but you will need an in-line squeeze type bleeder pump as there is no electric pump in the fuel tank . The filter is prone to blocking before the 37500 mile change interval , but a higher capacity filter was brought out about 18 months ago , with a blue spot on it , you should have this by now .
D: no , it makes no difference , there is only one nipple on each caliper .

E : No The coolant doesnt need changing unless the colour changes , as long as it is a bright Blue/Green colour it will be fine . Coolant doesn't come any better than this .

F : Cambelt etc at 87500 miles