Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Volvo 144 Boot Key. 1974. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316628)

blackrabbit May 6th, 2021 20:30

Volvo 144 Boot Key. 1974.

Hello
Could anyone advise me please.....
I need to source and then have cut a key for the boot on my 1974 Volvo 144.
Would anyone know as how this could be done?
Thank you.

Laird Scooby May 7th, 2021 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackrabbit (Post 2734860)
Hello
Could anyone advise me please.....
I need to source and then have cut a key for the boot on my 1974 Volvo 144.
Would anyone know as how this could be done?
Thank you.

Are you able to remove the boot lock from the car? If so a good locksmith should be able to cut a key to the lock.

If memory serves, the door key and boot key are one and the same, only the ignition key was different - long time since i had a 1973 facelift 144 though so might be wrong.

blackrabbit May 7th, 2021 04:29

Volvo 144 Boot Key. 1974

Hello Dave
Thank you for your reply.
You are correct the door and boot key are the same on a late 144.
The problem is the keys were left in the ignition,to stop the steering lock engaging and at the moment I cannot open the doors to get them.
The boot is locked shut so I cannot remove the lock.Would you know if there is anyway a key could be cut from a chassis number/ lock number etc?

Many thanks.

Laird Scooby May 7th, 2021 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackrabbit (Post 2734909)
Hello Dave
Thank you for your reply.
You are correct the door and boot key are the same on a late 144.
The problem is the keys were left in the ignition,to stop the steering lock engaging and at the moment I cannot open the doors to get them.
The boot is locked shut so I cannot remove the lock.Would you know if there is anyway a key could be cut from a chassis number/ lock number etc?

Many thanks.

I know a couple of years back when i enquired at my local parts dept, they could do it from the VIN, was about £30 if memory serves for the laser cut key on my 760 - hopefully yours should be cheaper than that though!

However there is a caveat - once the key has been cut, it can't be uncut so the key is yours. If the locks have been changed at any point in time you have a useless key and still can't get in.

Asking a possibly silly question, if the keys are in the ignition, how are you going to get them through the boot?

blackrabbit May 7th, 2021 17:06

Volvo 144 . Boot Key. 1974.

Hello Dave
Thank you for the info on the key.
The doors are unlocked but the car is pinned in so tight I cannot open them. Clearing a space around the car is not an option at the moment. Plus the windows are closed tight so no access that way
The need is to get into the boot to gain access to its contents. A replacement key seems the only option at the moment.
Many thanks for your help.
Regards

Laird Scooby May 7th, 2021 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackrabbit (Post 2735075)
The doors are unlocked but the car is pinned in so tight I cannot open them.

You might not be able to open the doors but what about someone smaller and skiinier like a small child? :thinking:

Kids can often get through amazingly small gaps that adults can't even think of getting through (i remember i used to get through some scarily narrow gaps as a kid) so if you can beg, buy, borrow or steal a kid (actually - NO!!!! Don't buy or steal one! :nah: ) that understands the mission of retrieving the keys you could be onto a winner!

Might cost you in terms of choclate, ice cream or similar ut it might be a solution?

142 Guy May 7th, 2021 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackrabbit (Post 2735075)
Hello Dave
Thank you for the info on the key.
The doors are unlocked but the car is pinned in so tight I cannot open them. Clearing a space around the car is not an option at the moment. Plus the windows are closed tight so no access that way
The need is to get into the boot to gain access to its contents. A replacement key seems the only option at the moment.
Many thanks for your help.
Regards

Quote:

The need is to get into the boot to gain access to its contents.
I am probably missing something in the interpretation; but, if gain access to its 'contents' means gaining access to the passenger compartment through the boot, I don't think that is going to happen.

I have a 1971 so it may be different than the 1974 on these details; but, on my 1971 142 two details prevent access to the passenger compartment from the boot. The first is the way the seat back is mounted you cannot get it to release from the boot. The second is that even if you could get the seat back out of the way there is a webbed X brace across the opening from the trunk into the passenger compartment. Even a small child would have trouble getting through the openings in that X brace.

I am having trouble picturing your situation - can't get in through the doors because of restricted access; but, you can presumable get access to the trunk? If you have have room behind the vehicle, give consideration to the possibility of jacking up the back of the car, placing the wheels on a set of vehicle dollys

https://www.amazon.ca/WEN-73017-Vehi...0409649&sr=8-6

and then pull / tow the car out from behind to access the doors.

I think the generate a key from the VIN is a feature that applies to more modern cars that have there VINs stored in electronic databases. Not to vintage cars where the company has gone through a couple of ownership changes. If you really do need to just get into the boot the option may be to drill out the lock cylinder. That won't be inexpensive; but, replacements used to be available.

I am still having trouble picturing the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" that results in this post. To bad that movie title has already been taken.

Laird Scooby May 7th, 2021 20:31

I've just had a thought and i'll probably be able to hear you swearing from here if i'm right - the boot has a turn-button release, have you tried it to find out if it's unlocked? :thinking: