Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Changing the ac compressor. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322697)

Carlosos Jan 10th, 2022 20:25

Changing the ac compressor.

Hello. After a bit of help with the above. Compressor is getting changed because extreme bearing play and noise.

I’m happy doing the mechanical side of things but I’ve never played with ac stuff before. Is it a case of simply empty the system of gas change parts and then take to be gassed up?

Ecp sells recon compressors do I need to add oil? How do I know?

Do I need to change the drier? Can’t find any information about these on v70’s.

2004 prefaclift 2.0t petrol.

stuart bowes Jan 10th, 2022 22:02

AC systems should be de-gassed by a professional using equipment that safely extracts it without venting it off the the outside world, it's bad for the environment

only a complete douche would let out the gas by just disconnecting a pipe :tounge_smile: it would be like disposing of your engine oil by pouring it down a drain

A/c places should be able to extract it for you

Carlosos Jan 11th, 2022 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2798989)
AC systems should be de-gassed by a professional using equipment that safely extracts it without venting it off the the outside world, it's bad for the environment

only a complete douche would let out the gas by just disconnecting a pipe :tounge_smile: it would be like disposing of your engine oil by pouring it down a drain

A/c places should be able to extract it for you

That’s a given but doesn’t help me with my question unfortunately.

Willber Jan 11th, 2022 06:25

In answer to your original question; yes it is simply a question of removing the gas (get this done by a professional) remove old compressor, fit new conpressor and then have it gassed up (by a professional ideally). You add the oil when it is being gassed up usually I think.

You dont need to change the drier unless there is something wrong with it.

Looks pretty simple from what I can tell. Removing the pipe to throttle body should give enough room to wiggle it out towards the airbox.

stuart bowes Jan 11th, 2022 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosos (Post 2798969)
..Is it a case of simply empty the system of gas..

this is the question i was responding to and even if you are aware of the laws which I did think you might be to be fair (hence the poking out tongue thingy) others might not be when coming across this in future and I wanted to make it very clear

apologies if that caused any offense

Carlosos Jan 11th, 2022 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2799059)
this is the question i was responding to and even if you are aware of the laws which I did think you might be to be fair (hence the poking out tongue thingy) others might not be when coming across this in future and I wanted to make it very clear

apologies if that caused any offense

No offence taken at all. The bloody minutia of easy jobs like this drive me crazy because if you get it wrong it can be very costly but where do you find the info.

Carlosos Jan 11th, 2022 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willber (Post 2799033)
In answer to your original question; yes it is simply a question of removing the gas (get this done by a professional) remove old compressor, fit new conpressor and then have it gassed up (by a professional ideally). You add the oil when it is being gassed up usually I think.

You dont need to change the drier unless there is something wrong with it.

Looks pretty simple from what I can tell. Removing the pipe to throttle body should give enough room to wiggle it out towards the airbox.

That answer part of my question so Thankyou. How do I know if I add oil now or later?

Joe Harding Jan 11th, 2022 21:07

I concur with other comments in this thread. Get the gas sucked out by a professional garage. They will probably want the replacement work but you can argue them out of that. Do the compressor refit - you will need to ensure all the seals are good and invest in a UV torch for later. Then you can take it back and get it rehashed. The oil will be introduced with the regassing. Then you can check it for leaks with the UV torch.

Longhouse21 Jan 13th, 2022 11:07

I believe that it's good practice to replace the desiccant drier when any major work is undertaken on the system. They're not prohibitively expensive but a bit of a pain to do...mounted next to the condenser on the off side, behind the front grill.
All parts should really come with new seals, if not, you'll need the appropriate replacements, suitable for AC systems.

JoeNinety Jan 14th, 2022 10:39

and get new schrader valves fitted to the high/low ports