Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   How much harsher is an R Design? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315821)

charles p Apr 6th, 2021 12:54

How much harsher is an R Design?

I've decided to move over from my V70 to an SUV type simply because the roads are getting worse. I want an XC60 manual, AWD with a Euro 6 diesel engine - and not to pay too much so I'm looking to find a 16/17 plate car with reasonable mileage. The spec that I want (manual, AWD, leather/heated) seems to be pretty scarce in SE Lux form (my ideal version) largely because most are geartronic. The manual versions seem to be R Design, and since my prime motivation is to smooth out the roads, that seems counterproductive but is that my prejudice shining through.
I've seen a reasonable R design with 18 wheels, so how much harsher would that be than a normal version?
One final query - I've had 5 pot diesel V70s of P2 and P3 in the past but does the 2.4 engine in the XC60 make a much rougher car than the newer 2.0 4 pot?

Thanks

Charles

moosehead74 Apr 6th, 2021 17:22

I have a 2017 D5 Auto AWD R-Design with 18" wheels and have to say the ride is very harsh (not sure how the SE's compare) compared to my 2005 C230 Estate. The Merc is the Avantgarde model with full sport pack and I thought the ride in that was firm. The wife doesn't like the XC60 and constantly complains about the ride!

In my opinion the engine is like a tractor but I'm comparing it to a silky smooth V6 petrol and have never had a diesel before. My other complaint is the droning / resonance I seem to get at approx 1500 rpm when it changes to a higher gear under load. I seem to notice this more now that I have all seasons fitted and have asked other members to comment on their D5s with summer tyres.

Other than that very pleased. It was bought primarily as a tow vehicle and tows a big caravan beautifully.

js90 Apr 6th, 2021 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles p (Post 2726079)
I've decided to move over from my V70 to an SUV type simply because the roads are getting worse. I want an XC60 manual, AWD with a Euro 6 diesel engine - and not to pay too much so I'm looking to find a 16/17 plate car with reasonable mileage. The spec that I want (manual, AWD, leather/heated) seems to be pretty scarce in SE Lux form (my ideal version) largely because most are geartronic. The manual versions seem to be R Design, and since my prime motivation is to smooth out the roads, that seems counterproductive but is that my prejudice shining through.
I've seen a reasonable R design with 18 wheels, so how much harsher would that be than a normal version?
One final query - I've had 5 pot diesel V70s of P2 and P3 in the past but does the 2.4 engine in the XC60 make a much rougher car than the newer 2.0 4 pot?

Thanks

Charles

What a shame! I just px'd mine a few weeks ago at the dealership! 16 XC60 D5 R-design manual leather seats, winter pack, osmium grey 18" alloys.

It's a very smooth ride on the 18's - yes, you feel the bumps a bit but much less than my previous S40 or my new S60. I never felt that the ride was harsh at all to be honest. Try to get a test drive from next week onwards (should be allowed I think?) and aim for the potholes :regular_smile:

Edit - not sure I would have it as a manual again. First gear is more like a half gear and gets really tedious after a while. Second gear seems more like a reasonable first gear to me. Definitely recommend keeping that in mind if you test drive one.

XC90Mk1 Apr 6th, 2021 18:21

Quote:

Thanks

Charles

I have a 2012 (so much earlier) XC90 and it’s on 235/65 18. The ride is sublime to be honest, lovely and smooth and without any issues.

What are the aspect ratio on the 2017s?

charles p Apr 6th, 2021 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by js90 (Post 2726197)
What a shame! I just px'd mine a few weeks ago at the dealership! 16 XC60 D5 R-design manual leather seats, winter pack, osmium grey 18" alloys.

It's a very smooth ride on the 18's - yes, you feel the bumps a bit but much less than my previous S40 or my new S60. I never felt that the ride was harsh at all to be honest. Try to get a test drive from next week onwards (should be allowed I think?) and aim for the potholes :regular_smile:

Edit - not sure I would have it as a manual again. First gear is more like a half gear and gets really tedious after a while. Second gear seems more like a reasonable first gear to me. Definitely recommend keeping that in mind if you test drive one.

Thanks - that's a shame(which dealership?)
I'm no fan of Volvo manual gearboxes but Mrs P doesn't like automatics so whilst I won that argument when I bought my V70, I've paid for it!

c

js90 Apr 6th, 2021 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles p (Post 2726272)
Thanks - that's a shame(which dealership?)
I'm no fan of Volvo manual gearboxes but Mrs P doesn't like automatics so whilst I won that argument when I bought my V70, I've paid for it!

c

Waylands volvo in Swindon. I had a look but nobody has it listed. If you do stumble across OY16 EHL in your travels, there are no issues with the car that I experienced. Well maintained, pristine paint, FSH...

Hasn't had its seatbelt recall yet as they didn't have any kits left when it went for the December MOT.

DavidI Apr 7th, 2021 00:04

Quote:

Thanks

Charles

Your question is the very one I was asking 3 weeks ago when I shortlisted a few 'new model' 2017 - 2018 XC60's to replace my, now previous, 2010 MY XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto.

Last week I bit the bullet and took delivery of a 2018 MY R Design Pro D5 Powerpulse, complete with 20" wheels. Road test reports on the ride quality of the R-Design are certainly mixed but, so far, I have been perfectly happy with the car.

It certainly has nowhere near the harshness of ride I have experienced on some other models. It rides noticeably firmer than my 2010 XC60, and with less body roll, but then the suspension has 100k less miles wear & tear. The air suspension certainly smooths out ruts of rough B roads better, and it buffers traffic humps better too, whatever Drive Mode I have selected. But it is still very early days....

For the last 18 years I had been driving a selection of V70 / XC60 2.4 litre 5 cylinder engined Volvo D5 auto models, and wondered if I would regret this change to the 4 cylinder 2 litre engine. The car I traded in also had the Polestar Optimisation which I found made the car more 'alert' and responsive. So far, I have not been disappointed, and the engine torque / power isn't that far adrift of my last car, though I will learn more when I tow our 1750kg MTPLM caravan in the coming weeks.

Normally I would have recommended arranging a test drive to decide for yourself. Sadly this luxury isn't possible in the current times.

But it sounds like your shortlist is based on late XC60 Mk I cars, which look to be excellent £££ used value just now.

charles p Apr 7th, 2021 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidI (Post 2726367)

But it sounds like your shortlist is based on late XC60 Mk I cars, which look to be excellent £££ used value just now.

Thanks. I have been sorely tempted by a V90CC, largely attracted by epic depreciation in the first couple of years making them great value. However, a combination of sense, solid reports of ownership and inbuilt meanness has drawn me towards an older XC60.
Aside from lots of XC60's being R Design a startling number are also black. As my father used to say "A black car is fine if you have a chauffeur to clean it every day!"

Charles

SwissXC90 Apr 7th, 2021 09:12

If you want a softer ride, do not get 20" wheels.

The side walls of the tyres play a huge role in ride comfort.

I know, I have 17" rims for Winter and 20" rims for Summer.
The complete wheels have the same rolling diameter due to the tyres fitted.

The Winter wheels offer a much more comfortable ride than the 20" Summer wheels. Hugely so.

The 20" wheels offer more direct steering and handling as there is less sidewall flex, but at a loss of a lot of ride comfort.

On rough roads, the 17" win hands down all the time.

Sotosound Apr 7th, 2021 10:32

Have you considered an XC70?