Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Webcon weber carb conversion? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315479)

Ross Slaughter Mar 26th, 2021 11:28

Webcon weber carb conversion?

Hi guys, decided this is the way forward for me now.
Does anyone here have pictures of a successful install in their 740? Also where fid you put the choke lever on the dash and do you have any pictures of that?

Thanks all.

Ross

volvo always Mar 26th, 2021 23:16

On my 1986 740 GLE with B230K engine.

The choke was fitted on the left hand side between the switches from memory on the angled black part of the trim.

No pictures as car scrapped/PX in 2007.

We had the weber kit fitted. Ran well for a few years, but jets used to block up even with 2 inline fuel filters. Blow them out and would then run fine. Eventually got worse after 5-6 years and stalling, running rough and eventually PX for a new Corolla in France, as needed a dependable car as lived in rural Normandy. Waited 2 weeks for new Corolla and in that time the 740, "Rodger" Ran perfect! Not sure what the issue was. D795 RJW. Vowed to not have another Carb Volvo. Had 240 GLT. Now 940LPT.

James.:thumbs_up:

ukvolvo Mar 28th, 2021 19:29

I have no experience on petrol volvo's but have fitted a couple of webers now. If there is another more efficient alternative i would go for it.

They are awful on fuel and the new Spanish made units are prone to leaks and poor machine work apparently. I had no leaks but despite using my gas analyzer and timing gun never got good results or smooth power curve. I tried and tried but gave up in the end. Compare that to say a su carb and there is alot better efficiency and power curves to be had.

Just my 2p

Mick

Ross Slaughter Apr 1st, 2021 22:09

The Webcon looks designed to be a factory style replacement for the Pierburg, I can not imagine a better alternative to be honest.

360beast Apr 3rd, 2021 08:10

It might be worth looking in to Dellorto DHLA carburettoes too, they offer a better range of jet sizes too IIRC. I was looking at them for my 360 before selling it and my mk2 golf about 6 years ago but money was tight so I went for a used weber and a service kit on that.

Laird Scooby Apr 3rd, 2021 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2724931)
It might be worth looking in to Dellorto DHLA carburettoes too, they offer a better range of jet sizes too IIRC. I was looking at them for my 360 before selling it and my mk2 golf about 6 years ago but money was tight so I went for a used weber and a service kit on that.

I think he's looking for a standard conversion Luke, rather than a performance one. Likely to be a 32/36 DGV sequential twin-choke which should give good economy and low-end torque but also good performance once both barrels are opened up.

The Del'Lorto DHLA would be great if he was adding a wild cam and 4 branch exhaust and system but not much help on an othewise standard engine, ditto for the Weber DCOE which is very different to the Webcon conversion kit. That would be something like :

https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/83...and-pulse-air/

Difficult to tell exactly what carb is used but a basic twin-choke cooking carb from the look.

Ross Slaughter Apr 4th, 2021 12:19

You are dead right Laird Scooby, I just want it to work, nothing fancy as I am a stock guy.
I found a better picture of the kit on another companies site who sell the Webcon item.

https://i.ibb.co/H27YK4Q/7-F377-C72-...B538-F1224.jpg

qscgyjl Apr 4th, 2021 14:13

I think that carb is a 32/34DMTL, Land Rover and Fiesta OE if I remember correctly.

Laird Scooby Apr 4th, 2021 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by qscgyjl (Post 2725342)
I think that carb is a 32/34DMTL, Land Rover and Fiesta OE if I remember correctly.

It does look a bit DMTL ish, no knowing as the listings don't specify the type of carb they use. Don't recall any Land-Rovers using them, mostly Zenith-Strombergs or SU or Stromberg. I know in the late 80s/early 90s, some of the "performance" Fiestas/Escrots/Orions and maybe other Fords used 32/34DMTL, anything from about 2.0 up (including the 1.6 Ghia Mk5 Cortina) used 32/36DGAV, the 3.0 Capri used a 38DGAS and the Webcon conversion for Vauxhalls that had previously used a GM Varajet-II bucket used the 32/36DGEV but could be had as a 32/36DGV with a choke cable, sometimes referred to as a DGMV.

Strangely webcon.co.uk list the replacement carb for the Volvo Penta (2.3/2.5) as a 38 DGES which obviously gives more flow with sunchronous venturis and electric choke. Sadly they don't quote what the carb is for the normal 2.3 although i have found kits for the pushrod red block B18/20 that use the 32/36DGV on several platforms and the performance version using the 38DGxS.

As long as it works and is more reliable than the Pierbug, maybe the OP can let us know what it is when he gets the kit?

360beast Apr 4th, 2021 14:59

I belive they used them in the 2.25 land rover series engines, it is the same carb I ended up with on my 1.3 golf and when searching for ot I came across plenty that had come off of land rovers. I struck lucky though and found one that had come off a 1.1 mk1 golf, it must have been running a bit rich in that as it ran perfectly on my 1.3.