Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC90 T8 Lifespan (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318573)

AccountAnt0102 Jul 22nd, 2021 12:32

XC90 T8 Lifespan

Hi all,

I have a company car (XC90 T8) which turns 4 years old in Jan 2022 and will need to be returned to the leasing company. I'll be switching to car allowance.

I love this car and have asked for a quote to buy from the lease company (£41k).

My question is, will it be worth it? How long should I expect a T8 to last if I choose to keep it until its demise? I'd never ordinarily consider buying a hybrid personally (I had it for the low BiK) because we don't know much about the battery life, but this is my baby!

I'm only doing around 8,000 miles per year.

Thanks.

Backinavolvo Jul 24th, 2021 07:48

IMO buying a used car is always a risk..

You know and love the car, so risk is minimised.

41k isn't exactly the deal of the century, but it must have low miles, and prices are high at the moment so looking at something else whatever brand will be equally inflated.

I'd go for it.. once its yours if you want to move it on at any point it will still be worth reasonable £ especially with the low miles.

AccountAnt0102 Jul 24th, 2021 08:17

Thank you for this. I would love to keep it and if it wasn't a hybrid I'd definitely go for it. My problem is I don't know how long I should expect it to last in miles, particularly the battery. I can't seem to find anything online.

Clan Jul 24th, 2021 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccountAnt0102 (Post 2755667)
Hi all,

I have a company car (XC90 T8) which turns 4 years old in Jan 2022 and will need to be returned to the leasing company. I'll be switching to car allowance.

I love this car and have asked for a quote to buy from the lease company (£41k).

My question is, will it be worth it? How long should I expect a T8 to last if I choose to keep it until its demise? I'd never ordinarily consider buying a hybrid personally (I had it for the low BiK) because we don't know much about the battery life, but this is my baby!

I'm only doing around 8,000 miles per year.

Thanks.

battery is warranted for 8 years .. but looking back in history will last longer .. there are battery reconditioning companies now and even volvo are having a reconditioning dealer in every region by the time it becomes necessary .
There will be companies who will replace bearings in motors and rewind them if they burn out .
Any more serious problem is going to cost a lot though . same with any electric vehicle ..... less to go wrong mechanically but more high voltage electronic units .

XC90Mk1 Jul 24th, 2021 08:46

I think for me the 41K would put me off, is that not costly? I would have thought you could buy direct from Volvo Selekt programme for less than that with full year warrenty.

Philip Fisher Jul 24th, 2021 08:51

An interesting question and one I have direct experience of.

In Mar 2016 I took delivery of my new leased company car XC90 T8. List price 70k.

In Mar 2019 I opted out of the car scheme, bought it off the lease company and have run it privately since then. I paid 29.5k and the car had done 85k miles. I bought a 3 year after market warranty for £599 from my dealer at the same time.

The car is now over 5 years old. Has done just over 120k miles. I treated it to a set of winter tyres and wheels, have paid for 3 services, replaced the brake disks and pads but not paid for much more than that. It had an ERAD at 103k miles paid for by the warranty company. Irrespective of the mileage it is still a lovely place to sit and the only wear inside is on the drivers door arm rest.

The big decision coming up for me is what to do in Mar 2022. Do I continue to run it without a warranty, or buy a new warranty (which won't cover as much due to the mileage) or chop it for a new one? It is 7 months out still but i reckon I will be keeping it until I can get a full electric XC90 at a reasonable price, which I am guessing aint going to be before 2025.....

Saftlad Jul 24th, 2021 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2756278)
I think for me the 41K would put me off, is that not costly? I would have thought you could buy direct from Volvo Selekt programme for less than that with full year warrenty.

I initially thought that too, but checking on Selekt, that looks to be the going price right now

Moonlanders Jul 24th, 2021 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saftlad (Post 2756296)
I initially thought that too, but checking on Selekt, that looks to be the going price right now

I would also personally pay a premium for a car that I had driven for all of its life. More risk with the Selekt cars, not knowing how the previous driver(s) drove it.

Clan Jul 24th, 2021 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlanders (Post 2756354)
I would also personally pay a premium for a car that I had driven for all of its life. More risk with the Selekt cars, not knowing how the previous driver(s) drove it.

I wouldn't worry about that , as long as the car looked right , you cant drive an engine to destruction these days with the ultra high gearing and ever decreasing speed limits ...

Cull06 Jul 24th, 2021 13:31

The big question for me whether to keep it or hand it back is going to be that erad …