Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   T5 conversion on a 960 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=212164)

ruslodo Aug 18th, 2014 19:29

T5 conversion on a 960

Sorry if these are very noobish questions

I am considering this on a 2.5 I6 with MT. The 2.5 is actually a very robust engine from what I can tell and I wish I could just turbo charge that rather then installing a different engine

From just briefly looking at what engines are available, can I be corrected if I am wrong: There is 2.3T from 1997 onwards that seems very tuneable and strong. Before that there is a 2.5T from the similar 850.

What I've read suggests physically the vehicle chassis should accept it as it's a cut down version of the I6. The Sump and Inlet manifold have to be modified and there are appropriate mounts available?
Perhaps I am more concerned with the wiring as to which would splice best with the 960 1996 wiring. Earlier one had a distributor and 1997 one controlled by the ECU? If that's so I would guess I must get the clocks and ignition barrel to go with it.

I've never used megasquirt or an aftermarket ECU, would that be a better bet and easy to configure?

Finally, what is a good upgrade for brakes for 300-350bhp?
Suspension wise it has Monroe Reflex shocks to go on thats it, not sure what else it would need about better options, its not an extreme amount of power and hoping it will be driveable day to day aswell, just faster and stick to the road when putting the power down. I'm currently using it every day and its pretty good with what it has, just lacking the kick of a turbo.
The chassis already impresses me and everyone thats been in it. The car just goes where you point it

Final finally, am I being stupid with this idea or should I be doing something to the engine that is in place to achieve reasonable power 250-300bhp? Another suggestion was a T6 but that would have monster wiring I am guessing?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. It would be the first time I swap in a different motor thats configured differently to standard rather than bolt on a different turbo or manifold, pity it didn't come standard with a T5 , it is a very good chassis.

Rus

classicswede Aug 18th, 2014 19:40

I would say the T6 would be less work than the T5 as you would need less custom parts.

You could just turbo your existing engine with a low boost. You will need to use after market engine management like megasquirt and have a turbo manifold fabricated.

You could just fit the 3ltr lump and do some na tuning on that to make good power. TB's and a good exhaust would make a nice lively engine

ruslodo Aug 18th, 2014 20:11

Yes, I'm suprised how good the standard engine is. I did connect an OBD phone app to the car to see what sort of manifold pressure it has standard and it was higher than I expected, it was at 3-4 psi and sometimes briefly 5 psi. I assume there are some innaccuracies in the meter or something wrong with the sensor for it to read that. The car moves reasonably well, but not that fast. Maybe that sensor needs replacing

T6 sounds like a good idea less hassle the better, there will be plenty to slow down the work on it as it is. On the american forums they seem to do this one a lot or a v8 which seems like it would need a lot of work and reinforcement

AsphaltRisin Aug 18th, 2014 21:37

T5... If for no other reason but sounding a bit like an audi quattro but while going sideways in a volvo.

Antz Aug 18th, 2014 21:56

See my signature for a guide on fitting a T5 into a 240. It's kinda the same thing.

Bottom engine mounts are fine but the upper ones will need adapting and everything upwards of that the same as a 240.

No transmission mods if you use a Whiteblock m90 manual box as found in some 960s

ruslodo Aug 18th, 2014 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antz (Post 1718392)
See my signature for a guide on fitting a T5 into a 240. It's kinda the same thing.

Bottom engine mounts are fine but the upper ones will need adapting and everything upwards of that the same as a 240.

No transmission mods if you use a Whiteblock m90 manual box as found in some 960s

Brilliant article, gives me a bit to think about. Luckily my car comes with a manual transmission

Megasquirt was practical for a daily driver car? I was liking the idea of having standard ECU controlling it but the thought of wiring it up gives me nightmares

Might pick your brain on it as I've not put a differently configured engine in before that needed fabrication work doing.

baggy798 Aug 18th, 2014 23:58

I would have thought a suitably sized supercharger would be the easiest way to add power. No exhaust/manifold to fabricate, no messing with oil/water lines.

Apparently there are gains to be had by switching to BMW something-something manifolds though... post #9...

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=225824

classicswede Aug 19th, 2014 00:06

There is a Sunbeam with a supercharged 960 lump in it

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176230

doingitsideways Aug 19th, 2014 00:19

My vote isn't on the list...

T6 - because two turbos are always better than one! ;)

Or you could use one massive one like this guy!

I actually bought my S80 T6 with the idea of ripping it's guts out and putting it in the 960, but I chickened out and dieseled it instead! :(

Do it!! :D

Steve :thumbs_up:

tc Aug 19th, 2014 00:25

Yeah I think T6 is the easier option..It's not as popular an engine to tune but with minimal mods you'll get plenty out of it. Wish I'd managed to turbo mine when I had it, would probably have kept it.