Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   S90 boot closing issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322830)

Chromemiller Jan 16th, 2022 10:31

S90 boot closing issues

Hi, my S90 electric boot closing does not always work. Opens fine then closing by pressing button on boot moves slightly and beeps, same for both buttons although boot/lock works more so. Same for sensor under car and remote button. Is there a sensor or something that is preventing it from closing? As I say loves a little then goes back to full open position.

ThomasC91 Jan 16th, 2022 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromemiller (Post 2800261)
Hi, my S90 electric boot closing does not always work. Opens fine then closing by pressing button on boot moves slightly and beeps, same for both buttons although boot/lock works more so. Same for sensor under car and remote button. Is there a sensor or something that is preventing it from closing? As I say loves a little then goes back to full open position.

I have an S90 and I can find them hit and miss. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't. I find if my bag is full or something is interfering or in the way of the key then it is less likely to work or if key is too far away. The car always unlocks for me, but sometimes won't lock using my finger. I think closing the boot with your foot requires a specific movement and has to be done in right place. Maybe the sensor is dirty also? It will normally always close for me if I use the button, but sometimes won't close and lock and instead bleeps. Hopefully someone else has more ideas as to why.

KJNL Jan 16th, 2022 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromemiller (Post 2800261)

If it beeps and won't close your key is not detected or is in the car.

OldEngineer Jan 16th, 2022 19:48

Knowing whether it beeps will be key to understanding the closing problem.

But also the boot is fitted with a Safety Mechanism that makes it stop if it detects something in the way. You will understand that this might be critical if the 'something' is a child's head. But the mechanism is dumb. It can't know if it is sensing a child's head or some other friction/obstruction. So look at what might be causing a friction.

Chromemiller Jan 18th, 2022 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJNL (Post 2800383)
If it beeps and won't close your key is not detected or is in the car.

Hi, it beeps and key is in my pocket…

Chromemiller Jan 18th, 2022 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldEngineer (Post 2800386)
Knowing whether it beeps will be key to understanding the closing problem.

But also the boot is fitted with a Safety Mechanism that makes it stop if it detects something in the way. You will understand that this might be critical if the 'something' is a child's head. But the mechanism is dumb. It can't know if it is sensing a child's head or some other friction/obstruction. So look at what might be causing a friction.

It beeps and doesn’t close, key in my pocket, nothing in way to stop it closing. Beeps, moves to close then goes back to open….quite frustrating.

Think I’ll have a look for the sensor under the car….does anyone know what it looks like?

Wizzpop Jan 19th, 2022 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromemiller (Post 2800901)
It beeps and doesn’t close, key in my pocket, nothing in way to stop it closing. Beeps, moves to close then goes back to open….quite frustrating.

Think I’ll have a look for the sensor under the car….does anyone know what it looks like?

Occasionaly have the same issue with my V60. It seems to be because I am too close to the back of the car. I wonder if the reversing sensors are detecting an obstruction.