Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   v70 p2 tailgate trim panel removal. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182951)

chemist Jun 20th, 2013 19:02

v70 p2 tailgate trim panel removal.

I need to investigate the rear hatch lock due to intermittent tailgate open warnings. I have read that the trim panel is a swine to remove. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to do this? Are there any particular tools that I need other than torx screwdrivers?

RM955I Jun 20th, 2013 19:15

The rear trim panel is easy to remove. From memory, 2 torx near the latch, 2 on the sides, then it's a question of gently prising the panel off as there are a number of clips that need easing out.

Longhouse21 Jun 21st, 2013 10:21

I had to remove mine some time back to replace rear wiper motor. AS RM9551 says easy to do but I would suggest better to have a second pair of hands to hold the panel whilst you prise off the trim clips - it's very light and (i think) made of ABS plastic. I nearly dropped mine due to the size and the fact that it's overhead. Not sure how it would react to impact on a hard surface as it didn't (from memory) feel very substantial.

Willber Nov 23rd, 2021 17:07

Does anyone know the part number or have a link to the replacement clips which secure the upper part of the tailgate trim? The bit which surrounds the window and high level brake light? Thanks

V70roma Nov 23rd, 2021 18:05

Clips

Try 8616645 enter the numbers on an eBay search should give some pictures to check.

stuart bowes Nov 24th, 2021 09:26

on mine it is in two parts, so if you're looking at the lock you just remove the lower part and leave the top part in situ, no reason at all to break the clips

the bottom bit is really easy to take off and put back, I've done it a number of times

Willber Nov 24th, 2021 10:24

Dont need to repair or replace anything. Just mine has always been loose since ive had the car. I want to replace the clips so the top bit is secure...

nickbw898 Nov 24th, 2021 20:33

If the tailgate sticks shut as hapened to me then it is impossible to remove the trimp, even partially, without it braking. ABS plastc becomes brittle with age. THe trim fixings are easy enough to replace especially with a trim removing bone tool.
I resorted to buying a seven seat V70 tailgate lock complete with inner handle to open and external lock, plus the complete tailgate inner trim.
This lock is altogether more substantial but make sure the seller includes the Volvo key (perhaps ignition key) to unlock/lock tailgate from outside manually.

john493 Mar 14th, 2022 20:49

My 2006 V70 tailgate is stuck in the locked position.
When I press unlock on the remote key, the tailgate lock motor does work- I can hear it - but the tailgate does not unlock.
Any ideas ?

VolvoRoyS Mar 15th, 2022 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by john493 (Post 2813480)
My 2006 V70 tailgate is stuck in the locked position.
When I press unlock on the remote key, the tailgate lock motor does work- I can hear it - but the tailgate does not unlock.
Any ideas ?

I had this. I kept locking, unlocking, pressing the release lever and pulling upwards and eventually with a good tug it came undone. I then lubricated the lock! I got lucky.

If this doesn't work you will most likely have to destroy the inner panel to get at the lock.

Roy