Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sensus issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315258)

XAlp Mar 18th, 2021 19:39

Sensus issue

Hope this is in the right forum!

I,Ve had a 2018 XC90 for about a month now. Three or four times the Sensus has not come on properly - eventually coming on after maybe 5 minutes. The display in front of the driver between the dials also is blank while it’s “resetting” - this is how the salesman described what’s happening.

It’s booked in next week - any suggestions on what I should discuss / look out for at the dealer? And a general question - do all the safety systems work while it’s blank?

Cheers

XAlp Apr 6th, 2021 18:28

Update.

Apparently they didn't have a way to find the issue. They said if it persists they can supply me with a USB which tracks the frequency of it happening, and then provide that evidence to Volvo for a potential replacement. We'll see - it has been fine since then...

A little worry - the chap also said that the latest upgrades to Sensus on new models means that the version I have is "becoming less supported by Volvo" - the price of progress I suppose :Not_Impressed::fear:

MGSheff Apr 6th, 2021 21:37

Hi Xalp

I've not noticed any of the symptoms you've mentioned, but...
I have a 2010 V70 and recently the display was showing that my mobile phone was connected, I could use the dash controls to scroll through my phone book and recent calls and I could initiate a call but the audio wasn't connecting through.
I stopped the Bluetooth on my phone (Android) and restarted Bluetooth. The phone re-connected to the car and audio was also connecting through OK.

Another strange thing that happened recently (before the Christmas lockdown).
I was with a friend who was using a drone controlled from his mobile phone. I had the NHS app on my phone with the Bluetooth option enabled. When I moved within Bluetooth range of his phone the drone started behaving erratically. When I moved further away the drone behaved normally.

Also when I have the Bluetooth option enabled in the NHS app my fitbit struggles to communicate with my phone. The NHS app seems quite greedy with Bluetooth bandwidth.

I don't know if this has any relationship to your problem, but it might be something you could experiment with to find out.

EssexExile Apr 6th, 2021 21:48

The wife took our car in to have a wiper motor changed when it was a couple of months old. She left the dealership and on the first roundabout all went blank, so she went right round back to the dealership and as she pulled onto the forecourt it all came back on! They took it back in and did the usual "reinstall the software" and it's been fine for the last couple of years.

RonFleet Apr 7th, 2021 09:17

My XC40's Sensus system has behaved like this on a number of occasions...failed to start and rebooted itself once or twice before coming back to life. Irritating.

techwatcher Apr 7th, 2021 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonFleet (Post 2726438)
My XC40's Sensus system has behaved like this on a number of occasions...failed to start and rebooted itself once or twice before coming back to life. Irritating.

This has been reported a few times and my XC60 behaves the same way.

The problem seems to be related to DAB radio. If I start the car with FM radio the problem doesn't occur.

RonFleet Apr 8th, 2021 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by techwatcher (Post 2726749)
This has been reported a few times and my XC60 behaves the same way.

The problem seems to be related to DAB radio. If I start the car with FM radio the problem doesn't occur.

Interesting... Mine's always set to DAB.

Clan Apr 8th, 2021 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by XAlp (Post 2719812)
Hope this is in the right forum!

I,Ve had a 2018 XC90 for about a month now. Three or four times the Sensus has not come on properly - eventually coming on after maybe 5 minutes. The display in front of the driver between the dials also is blank while it’s “resetting” - this is how the salesman described what’s happening.

It’s booked in next week - any suggestions on what I should discuss / look out for at the dealer? And a general question - do all the safety systems work while it’s blank?

Cheers

Do you get the regular software updates for the firmware at every service? There are considerable improvements each year .. They will update the software as a first action ...

RonFleet Apr 8th, 2021 16:23

The software was updated at the beginning of March. It rebooted twice while I was out in it earlier today. Must switch off DAB and give that a try.