Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Free Home Charger (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320020)

tdw197 Sep 18th, 2021 08:50

Free Home Charger

Has anyone else signed up for the recent free home charger for Volvo PHEVs and Electrics?

Finally got my email about registering after 2 weeks, but every email since says it may be up to 4 to 5 months. Wondered if anyone has had there’s done yet and whether it really is that long?

sculliod Sep 18th, 2021 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw197 (Post 2771449)
Has anyone else signed up for the recent free home charger for Volvo PHEVs and Electrics?

Finally got my email about registering after 2 weeks, but every email since says it may be up to 4 to 5 months. Wondered if anyone has had there’s done yet and whether it really is that long?

I ordered my Volvo in June and the dealer didnt mention the free charge point untill I did. They applied on my behalf, New Motion made contact and I completed a survey which I submitted back to them. They then sent me a chargecard but since then nothing from them until quite recently when I received this note;

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your continued patience while we coordinate your charge point installation. The charge point industry, along with many car and electrical manufacturers, are facing unprecedented challenges at the moment that are causing disruption. We’d like to take a moment to explain why you are facing longer installation lead times than usual.

Global chip shortage
You may have read about this global shortfall of chips and the effect it’s having across a spectrum of electronics industries, as well as car manufacturers around the world. At the same time, market demand for EVs and EV charging equipment is at an all time high. Therefore, delivery timelines for charge point orders may take longer as a result and your installation cannot yet be scheduled.

We understand that any waiting time is inconvenient and we appreciate your patience. Our Customer Care and Sales teams are unable to share any specifics right now but we assure you that once we have more information, we will be in touch again.

For more information about current delivery timelines please read the Frequently Asked Questions on our website.

Kind regards,

NewMotion
​​​​​​Euan Moir, UK Sales Manager

UK The New Motion EVSE Ltd.
3 Waterhouse Square, 138 - 142 Holborn, London,
EC1N 2SW,
The United Kingdom

theronin Sep 18th, 2021 10:17

I ordered one about 5 months ago and still no sign of an install date. It's irrelevant now anyway as I've cancelled my car order.

Poz2606 Sep 18th, 2021 14:43

Ordered car beginning of June.
Completed New Motion home survey end of July
Got charger fitted end of August.
Car arrives on Monday. Woohooo

tdw197 Sep 18th, 2021 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poz2606 (Post 2771531)
Ordered car beginning of June.
Completed New Motion home survey end of July
Got charger fitted end of August.
Car arrives on Monday. Woohooo

Great timing.

Got an email to say my card is on its way, only did the survey earlier this week so hopefully that’s a good sign.
Nice that they are doing the advanced version too.

tdw197 Sep 18th, 2021 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculliod (Post 2771458)
I ordered my Volvo in June and the dealer didnt mention the free charge point untill I did. They applied on my behalf, New Motion made contact and I completed a survey which I submitted back to them. They then sent me a chargecard but since then nothing from them until quite recently when I received this note;

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your continued patience while we coordinate your charge point installation. The charge point industry, along with many car and electrical manufacturers, are facing unprecedented challenges at the moment that are causing disruption. We’d like to take a moment to explain why you are facing longer installation lead times than usual.

Global chip shortage
You may have read about this global shortfall of chips and the effect it’s having across a spectrum of electronics industries, as well as car manufacturers around the world. At the same time, market demand for EVs and EV charging equipment is at an all time high. Therefore, delivery timelines for charge point orders may take longer as a result and your installation cannot yet be scheduled.

We understand that any waiting time is inconvenient and we appreciate your patience. Our Customer Care and Sales teams are unable to share any specifics right now but we assure you that once we have more information, we will be in touch again.

For more information about current delivery timelines please read the Frequently Asked Questions on our website.

Kind regards,

NewMotion
​​​​​​Euan Moir, UK Sales Manager

UK The New Motion EVSE Ltd.
3 Waterhouse Square, 138 - 142 Holborn, London,
EC1N 2SW,
The United Kingdom

Same on the dealer - only found out about the offer by googling to see what charger Volvo recommend and then saw I could get one for free. Bit rubbish really.

milzibkit Sep 18th, 2021 15:51

I'd understood the charger is free, but you need to pay for the associated electrical works. Can they take a feed off an existing socket, or does it need a dedicated circuit on the consumer unit?

Tony H Sep 18th, 2021 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by milzibkit (Post 2771544)
I'd understood the charger is free, but you need to pay for the associated electrical works. Can they take a feed off an existing socket, or does it need a dedicated circuit on the consumer unit?

The one I had fitted needed it's own 32A spur from the consumer unit. You shouldn't take a feed from an existing circuit.

tdw197 Sep 18th, 2021 16:40

No, it’s free with a standard install. Will add a new fuse to your RCD fuse box and take a feed from there. Alternatively (and hopefully in my case) from your master fuse in your meter box. Anything different to that and you have to pay.

griffin447 Sep 18th, 2021 16:53

I’ve got a install date of 1st November. This is taking into account the delays with chip shortages and manufacturing. Watch this space but I’m not holding my breath’