Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Wanted: 940 Turbo Tachometer w/boost gauge (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326301)

StrongSpearWorks Jul 1st, 2022 08:43

Wanted: 940 Turbo Tachometer w/boost gauge

My tachometer, I think, is goosed.
A healthy slap on the dash with the engine off will return the needle to 0. However, as soon as I start the car it will flip up to 2600 and stay there - even with the engine off.
I've checked the wiring, got continuity... my guess is the actual clock is somehow broken internally, so I'm after a new one.

It's a '91 SE turbo with a boost gauge built into the same clock, so ideally I'd want to replace like-for-like

360beast Jul 1st, 2022 08:46

Being a 91 it will most likely be the capacitors on the back, it will need taking out and all the crusty debris from the leaking capacitors will need cleaning up, all solder joints reflowing and new capacitors soldering in.

Dave on here could probably do it for you if you ask him nicely :)

StrongSpearWorks Jul 1st, 2022 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2831781)
Being a 91 it will most likely be the capacitors on the back, it will need taking out and all the crusty debris from the leaking capacitors will need cleaning up, all solder joints reflowing and new capacitors soldering in.

I'm no stranger to a soldering iron... maybe I'll pop it out this weekend and have a closer look. I need to fiddle with a couple of bulb holders anyway (got a flickering bulb or two)

360beast Jul 1st, 2022 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongSpearWorks (Post 2831789)
I'm no stranger to a soldering iron... maybe I'll pop it out this weekend and have a closer look. I need to fiddle with a couple of bulb holders anyway (got a flickering bulb or two)

The two contact points on the bulb holders might just need tweaking out a bit to make a better contact, one of mine doesn't work 99% of the time (it only illuminates half the clock and the fuel gauge so not desperately important) but very occasionally it will work... It's been nearly 4 years since I bought it so I do need to do it.

StrongSpearWorks Jul 1st, 2022 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2831793)
The two contact points on the bulb holders might just need tweaking out a bit to make a better contact, one of mine doesn't work 99% of the time (it only illuminates half the clock and the fuel gauge so not desperately important) but very occasionally it will work... It's been nearly 4 years since I bought it so I do need to do it.

Mine usually starts well, but then starts flickering then eventually goes out entirely - the one more or less behind the 30MPH mark. Plenty of daylight hours at the moment, but it's one of those things that will need doing eventually.

Belal960 Jul 2nd, 2022 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2831781)

Dave on here could probably do it for you if you ask him nicely :)

Hi
how to contact Dave?

Thanks

360beast Jul 2nd, 2022 17:46

I've asked Dave and he is too busy unfortunately

BogfordGarage Jul 18th, 2022 10:50

Are you still looking for a turbo tachometer? I think I've got one in a cluster that I robber the speedo out of. I'm also pretty sure its a 91.